ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the purpose of this bolt on my EAW LA400?  (Read 15350 times)

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: What is the purpose of this bolt on my EAW LA400?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »

Wow 3 pages of replies on this question! haha GEEZ!

Maybe time for moderator to step in?

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »

This was one of a limited number of prototype cabs produced about 3-4 years back.  The design brief was to make a more space efficient (i.e more cabs per truck pack) speaker cabinet.  The bolt is actually a fill point for adding compressed air, If you remove it the cabinet deflates to approx 1/4 its full size (meaning 4 times the bang for your buck per truck).  In the end the concept was shelved as it was too far ahead of its time (and too many roadies were nearly giving themselves a hernia trying to inflate them by mouth when they forgot to pack the air compressor).  If yours hasn't deflated by now, I wouldn't remove the bolt as replacement valves are next to impossible to source if yours packs up because of age. ( PS some of the design tech has flowed on to consumer level though, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yznl98Cp9Dw )
:)

paul bell

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

I see the future! If the entire audience has one of those IChairs to sit in, they won't need a PA!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 03:43:56 AM »

It's the Gunness Focusing Bolt.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »

So I guess it allows you to tighten or loosen the loudspeaker's pattern?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »

Probably something else.  1) The speaker is capable of operating without Gunness focusing.  2) This speaker probably won't operate correctly without the bolt.  Not to pontificate but if you remove this bolt, it is no longer an EAW speaker.   ;D

paul bell

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »

Perhaps this bolt is like the "air" knob on old Mackie mixers.

Chris Eddison

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:13 AM »

The bolt is actually a fill point for adding compressed air, If you remove it the cabinet deflates to approx 1/4 its full size (meaning 4 times the bang for your buck per truck).
You've forgotten the most important feature of that model....

When it came to load-out, replacing the air inside with helium meant that the cabinets could be led to the truck floating on the end of a piece of string, then they could be evacuated for storage and pushed into place.

I seem to recall they lost most of the prototype stock at a gig when they tragically miscalculated the weight of an unsuspecting volounteer box pusher. He was last seen floating up and over the stage attached to 12 of the things by a bit of string.

The idea was shelved in the end, because whilst truck weights were drastically reduced, it was offset by the weight of the crew required to safely handle things without taking off.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.