ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Turbosound experts here? info or their 2x18 sub cabinet lineups  (Read 9340 times)

John William

Hi all.
I’m considering buying a set of either 6 to 8 used Turbosound TSW-718 2x18” cabinets but am very interested in learning about the differences between their 2x18" collection form the last 10/15 years or so. ( TSW718/TSW-218/THL828 and others).

pros/cons?
sound qualities?
approx 2nd value ?
years of manufacture?
usable bandwidth?

i understand that the 718 is more of a bass cabinet rather than real sub, is it still usable with dance music despite this?

they would be used under up to 4x mid/tops a side as appropriate from around 40hz to 100hz and a mix of bands/DJs indoor and outdoors.

aside from this, are the turbo tsw-718 a good upgrade plan from the JBL SRX728 i currently own? 

Thanks. John
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:44:06 AM by John William »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Any Turbosound experts here? info or their 2x18 sub cabinet lineups
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »

aside from this, are the turbo tsw-718 a good upgrade plane from the JBL SRX728 i currently own? 

Thanks. John

No.  It's a lateral move.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John William

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »

No.  It's a lateral move.

Hi Tim, interesting ! I'll admit I’ve never heard the TSW718 but had imagined it is a more 'pro' box in terms of output compared to the SRX728 per box. maybe not in terms of low end extension?
if i do purchase the TSW I can inspect but not play audio through to max volume so your opinions are valuable.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »

Quote from: John William
  but had imagined it is a more 'pro' box in terms of output compared to the SRX728 per box

There ya go. Imagining them to be better doesn't make em better.

Why does "pro" mean more output?

Not doing your homework so, how to they compare in specifications?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:20:08 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Guy Morris

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »

Hi John

I have a pair of TSW 718s  bought a few years back to complement and underpin some classic TMS 4s although they were originally designed for the Flashlight/Floodlight series . Weirdly the TMs 4s (full range box of the time) has a lower frequency than the 718 which is quoted as 50hz up. However the Sub does give a kicky bass  but not a deep growl bass so for live music application they work well  on Bass /Kick  and keys but for club playback duty then something lower  down to 32/38/40hz may suit better. ( I use d&b B2s for the extra lows now). 718 power handling is a respectable 800watts RMS 1600 program( It was how they quoted it in the day, ) they can also be split driven with the Alcatel input plug allowing either a parallel input or two separate ones if you Google the box there are full spec sheet PDFs for it. (can't do PDF but here it is in txt format) Big and heavy and blue, brilliant.

Hi all.
I’m considering buying a set of either 6 to 8 used Turbosound TSW-718 2x18” cabinets but am very interested in learning about the differences between their 2x18" collection form the last 10/15 years or so. ( TSW718/TSW-218/THL828 and others).

pros/cons?
sound qualities?
approx 2nd value ?
years of manufacture?
usable bandwidth?

i understand that the 718 is more of a bass cabinet rather than real sub, is it still usable with dance music despite this?

they would be used under up to 4x mid/tops a side as appropriate from around 40hz to 100hz and a mix of bands/DJs indoor and outdoors.

aside from this, are the turbo tsw-718 a good upgrade plan from the JBL SRX728 i currently own? 

Thanks. John
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:55:10 AM by Guy Morris »

John William

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:47 PM »

Many thanks for the great insight Guy.

Hi John

I have a pair of TSW 718s  bought a few years back to complement and underpin some classic TMS 4s although they were originally designed for the Flashlight/Floodlight series . Weirdly the TMs 4s (full range box of the time) has a lower frequency than the 718 which is quoted as 50hz up. However the Sub does give a kicky bass  but not a deep growl bass so for live music application they work well  on Bass /Kick  and keys but for club playback duty then something lower  down to 32/38/40hz may suit better. ( I use d&b B2s for the extra lows now). 718 power handling is a respectable 800watts RMS 1600 program( It was how they quoted it in the day, ) they can also be split driven with the Alcatel input plug allowing either a parallel input or two separate ones if you Google the box there are full spec sheet PDFs for it. (can't do PDF but here it is in txt format) Big and heavy and blue, brilliant.

Nathan Salt

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »

yeah the 718s aren't a true sub really, as they're designed with floodlights/flashlights in mind and crossover at 180hz
Nathan Salt

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.