ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delay Speaker Towers: 1973 Watkins Glen Festival (New York) – 600,000 on site  (Read 25327 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico

Tape loop was one way-and long before tape existed-they used a small speaker in a long coiled tube (the length of time needed for the delay) with a mic in the end.  The idea being that in a plane wave tube there is no loss and then the mic would go to the delay speakers.

Not quite as easy as punching in a number these days.
Ivan,

I remember lugging a Revox A-77 tape recorder in and out of clubs in the 1970's, using it as tape delay. Weighed around 60 pounds in the case.
An Echoplex would have been cheaper, lighter and more variable, but the Revox was more "hi-fi"  ;).
Running four hours a night in smoky bars wore the heads down to where they should have been re-lapped, but it still was used for click track playback of backing tracks for Andy Williams in the mid 1980's, using foil tape between songs to trigger an automatic stop mechanism we added.

The Cooper Time Cube was a UREI-branded, Bill Putman/Duane H. Cooper coiled tube delay  device first made in 1971.
It had 14ms, 16ms or a combined 30ms delay, too short for the delay speakers  needed  on big  shows.
The Time Cube was popular in high end studios (1000 were sold), but I  never heard of them being used other than for effects on a live show, too feedback prone, using Shure SM57 cartridges for both the microphone and speaker.

Have you heard of an actual event that used coiled tubes for sound delay on a show?

Art

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Have you heard of an actual event that used coiled tubes for sound delay on a show?

Art
I don't know any specifics-but believe the coiled tubes were back in the 30-40's before tape recorders were widely used.

That is what I have "heard" anyway.  It was a bit before my time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Paul Tucci

• SR Forums

Imagine my surprise when I found my self in the picture Eventide is using in their "In 1973, Delay Went a Little Digital" print ad.

PT

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Paul, that was the window pane making the notes fly out of the speakers.  ;)
And into your ears-mixing with the "experience" (and other things) giving a unique situation-------------

As the saying goes: If you remember the 60's (70's) you really weren't there.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

And into your ears-mixing with the "experience" (and other things) giving a unique situation-------------

As the saying goes: If you remember the 60's (70's) you really weren't there.

I remember each.  The 60's saw me get to Jr. High so there wasn't a lot of depravity (in spite of what Art Linkletter was telling parents).  The 70's?  Eh... Uh... I remember graduating from high school and going to college, only to discover 3 years later that I hated teaching (and my degree was performing arts education).  UGG.  The first of several career alignments led to more interesting pass times and eventually my first band-in-a-van gig.  With enough sleep deprivation you don't need drugs to be stupid...

Now I can blame it on encroaching senility... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Delay Speaker Towers: 1973 Watkins Glen Festival (New York) – 600,000 on site
ยซ Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:42 AM ยป

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 18 queries.