ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 70v speaker placement at driving range  (Read 11697 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: 70v speaker placement at driving range
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:48:23 AM »

Here is another version of what Hal suggested:

http://www.ticcorp.com/omni_speaker_gs3.htm

These can be found for under $100 each for the non transformer variety.  You will want to go with the 70V version to make installation easier, presuming your amplifier will allow you to utilize constant voltage.  Properly installed in the ground, they have a nice full sound the disperses 360 degrees.  They may also be installed to make them more vandal resistant as well and may be hidden among foliage or placed in planters to make them more difficuly to spot.  Although I will always recommend running in conduit, many jurisdictions will allow you to use direct burial cable, which will cut costs and expedite the installation with minimal impact on the landscaping.  Check your local laws and always call before digging!

Added:  Here is the external 70V transformer, which also makes a good junction point as well:

http://www.ticcorp.com/outdoor_speakers_70v.htm#sp70vta
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:59:27 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »

weather resistant. The speakers I'm looking at are weather resistant. We're also worried about theft, so the speakers will be brought in each night (they're pretty small and easy to move) or we will build some boxes to house them. I'd stick a 1/4" connector on each speaker line, this would make it easy for staff to remove them and set them up.
'Weather resistant' typically means they are intended to be located outdoors but under an overhang or similar rather than directly exposed.  The description of the C110 and aspects such as a port but no weep hole, a simple perforated metal grille, no special LF cone treatment, etc. supports that it may not be intended for direct exposure.

I also agree that deinstalling and reinstalling the speakers every day is likely to become an operations and maintenance nightmare.

Also, assuming you mean the Yamaha XM6150 (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/xmseries.pdf and http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/xmseries_1.pdf) that is a six channel anplifier that uses channel pairs for 70V operation and can provide three 150W (and probably a bit less for full range operation) 70V outputs.

Rooms accross the street - haven't really put much thought into that, I figure the rooms are far enough away and the music would be at a low level. We also operate only during daylight hours, plus there is a semi busy street between the range and the hotels.
So the intent is to have low level, background music from speakers that in the pictures appear to be fairly close to a semi-busy street?  And to play pop music from speakers stuck on fence posts in a setting that appears to highlight the natural environment?  You know the situation and your clientele much better, but is it worth rethinking the entire concept or at least if it is worth a greater investment to better visually integrate the speakers?

Steve Toulch

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »

I thought about it more last night, I'm leaning to the in ground speakers that Hal suggested. I'd rather have something I don't need to worry about and will be reliable. The garden speakers will also blend in visually.

As for the amplifier, thanks for pointing out the 150w per channel bridged 70v output. I'll run 4 channels (2x bridged lines) down the line for the speakers, this will still leave me with 2 channels for the patio and the pro-shop.

So the intent is to have low level, background music from speakers that in the pictures appear to be fairly close to a semi-busy street?  And to play pop music from speakers stuck on fence posts in a setting that appears to highlight the natural environment?  You know the situation and your clientele much better, but is it worth rethinking the entire concept or at least if it is worth a greater investment to better visually integrate the speakers?

I agree, between adding and removing speakers, visual impact, weather, etc. the in ground will be more suitable and less hassle.

thanks for all the feedback everyone.

'Weather resistant' typically means they are intended to be located outdoors but under an overhang or similar rather than directly exposed.  The description of the C110 and aspects such as a port but no weep hole, a simple perforated metal grille, no special LF cone treatment, etc. supports that it may not be intended for direct exposure.

I also agree that deinstalling and reinstalling the speakers every day is likely to become an operations and maintenance nightmare.

Also, assuming you mean the Yamaha XM6150 (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/xmseries.pdf and http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/ProAudio/xmseries_1.pdf) that is a six channel anplifier that uses channel pairs for 70V operation and can provide three 150W (and probably a bit less for full range operation) 70V outputs.

Steve Toulch

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Here is another version of what Hal suggested:

http://www.ticcorp.com/omni_speaker_gs3.htm

These can be found for under $100 each for the non transformer variety.  You will want to go with the 70V version to make installation easier, presuming your amplifier will allow you to utilize constant voltage.  Properly installed in the ground, they have a nice full sound the disperses 360 degrees.  They may also be installed to make them more vandal resistant as well and may be hidden among foliage or placed in planters to make them more difficuly to spot.  Although I will always recommend running in conduit, many jurisdictions will allow you to use direct burial cable, which will cut costs and expedite the installation with minimal impact on the landscaping.  Check your local laws and always call before digging!

Added:  Here is the external 70V transformer, which also makes a good junction point as well:

http://www.ticcorp.com/outdoor_speakers_70v.htm#sp70vta

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd rather spend a little more and get something with a built in transformer. I'll shop around and try and get the ones Hal suggested at a better price.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd rather spend a little more and get something with a built in transformer. I'll shop around and try and get the ones Hal suggested at a better price.

Also available with a built in multi-tap transformer.  Check the site.  Nothing wrong with the Atlas.  I sell a lot of it as well.
This space for rent

Steve Toulch

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »

Also available with a built in multi-tap transformer.  Check the site.  Nothing wrong with the Atlas.  I sell a lot of it as well.

could you post a link to the model with the built in transformer please?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »

could you post a link to the model with the built in transformer please?

Same link as the external Xformer, just right above it.  It's an add on piece as well, just designed to be located with in the enclosure.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.