ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on zone mixers  (Read 3908 times)

Nick Bair

Need advice on zone mixers
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:38 am »

Hey, folks.

I've got a church installation with three separate zones. In each zone I want the ability to quickly switch between one of two inputs: 1) FOH Mix and 2) BGM from an iPod. These switches need to be controlled from FOH, and because the switches occur during busy cue times, I would like to be able to toggle inputs for each zone at the push of a button.

So I'm looking for a zone mixer with at least 2 inputs, at least 3 outputs, and a quick pushbutton toggle between inputs, separate for each zone. It would be even better if it were MIDI-controlled. Any ideas?

P.S. The zone mixer will feed BGM even when the FOH rack is turned off, so I want something relatively low-power that can run 24/7.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Need advice on zone mixers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:34:16 pm »

Hey, folks.

I've got a church installation with three separate zones. In each zone I want the ability to quickly switch between one of two inputs: 1) FOH Mix and 2) BGM from an iPod. These switches need to be controlled from FOH, and because the switches occur during busy cue times, I would like to be able to toggle inputs for each zone at the push of a button.

So I'm looking for a zone mixer with at least 2 inputs, at least 3 outputs, and a quick pushbutton toggle between inputs, separate for each zone. It would be even better if it were MIDI-controlled. Any ideas?

P.S. The zone mixer will feed BGM even when the FOH rack is turned off, so I want something relatively low-power that can run 24/7.

Rane.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Nick Bair

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

Rane.

Hammer

I'm currently using a Rane SM 26 (an old one, with the phone-jack style power cord) which I bought on eBay for $50. Actually, one of the channels was bad when it arrived and the seller gave me a full refund and told me not to bother returning it. I cracked it open and replaced the 2 main op-amps and now it works like new.

Come to think of it, if I could get a couple of 2-in, 1-out mono switchers to use along with the Rane, that might do the trick. For what it is, I can probably just wire up a rotary switch in a plastic project box with some TS jacks.

Rick Doersch

• White Salmon, WA USA
    • Hidden Mountain Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:25 am »

I used one of these in a install. A lot of power for the money....rick

Austrailan Monitor ZRM4

http://www.australianmonitor.com.au/products/product/zrm4

Hey, folks.

DonSneed

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:15:56 am »

I just installed a Samson S-Zone mixer,  a 4-zone output, 4-mic/line input....I wanted the Australian Monitor but is out of stock until June 2012, The Samson work great, can send any input to any output, Plus it has a built on monitor speaker to monitor any output...nice !!! I was impress with the unit & price....

Clark Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:06:18 am »

I just installed a Samson S-Zone mixer,  a 4-zone output, 4-mic/line input....I wanted the Australian Monitor but is out of stock until June 2012, The Samson work great, can send any input to any output, Plus it has a built on monitor speaker to monitor any output...nice !!! I was impress with the unit & price....

I just bought and installed one last week.  Got it from professional broadcast supply for much cheaper than anywhere else.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:19 am »

All of the major fixed install product manufacturers have zone mixer offerings. Perhaps let your fingers do some walking (research).

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »

DBX ZonePro 640.

What's nice about this is it has presets that you could quickly jump to that would set all of your zones at the same time. 4 channel out with I think 6 inputs (2 of which are balanced) Only 1RU and good on power.

http://www.dbxpro.com/640/index.php
Ryan Davis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.