ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial ProAV2 vs JPC  (Read 12330 times)

BrettKeller

Radial ProAV2 vs JPC
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my live rig. A number of bands I work with run sequences/backing tracks from iPods/iPads/computers. Typically one side will be the tracks, and the other will be click for the drummers in-ears. I was thinking that it would also be nice if I could use the DI for keyboards as well in other situations. The ProAV2 is cheaper, but the JPC seems better suited for the "consumer level" output on iPods, etc. I've also heard that the active Radials DI's sometimes clip when fed a hot signal from a keyboard, so that may be another point in the ProAV2's corner.

Does anyone here have experience with both who can point me in the right direction?

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
Re: Radial ProAV2 vs JPC
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »

Does anyone here have experience with both who can point me in the right direction?
One of the venues I am involed with uses both.   :)
The JPC was purchased first.  The ProAV2 was aquired later becuase on it the ground lift swith is not recessed.  As a bonus it has a lift for one channel only.  Great for running an independent instrument on one channel and a grounded source on the other channel.  Any device will distort with a sufficently strong input. I have no instances where the JPC ws overloaded.

Andre

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »

The Radial ProAV2 is a great little piece to have around. I use it way more often than I thought I would. It's built like a tank and the 1/8 inch and RCA jacks have been a VERY useful feature, not just for AV but also all the goofy "sources" indie bands seem to have these days. Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:38:28 PM by cyriljamesturner »
smile & wave...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:50:28 PM »

The ProAV1 is great too and it's about $40 cheaper, but it sums the inputs to mono, which wouldn't work in a situation where you have the track on one channel and a click on the other. 

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »

Hey Brett,

The JPC requires phantom to operate, and it doesn't take batteries.  If you ALWAYS have phantom power available on all your rigs, then you can go that route.  The AV2 is passive version, sans loop outputs on the RCAs.

My only gripe about the units is that there is no sum-to-mono function - quite handy when you're low on channels and don't have to worry about split tracks.  The other thing to do is use a true stereo channel on the mixer and set the Balance control (not Pan) to whichever side of the signal has more of what you need (music or vox).

I'm all for multi-functionality, but I've always felt it was good to have a separate DI for keyboards, etc.  In my kit, I carry a Radial JDImk3, a Countryman Type 85 (could be swapped for a Radial J48), and a Whirlwind PCDI.  The Radial JDI can sum-to-mono, as can the PCDI, so I can use them both for computer sources, etc. as needed.  If I need stereo keyboards, and my rig is actually stereo (very rare nowadays), then I'll bring 2 of the same DI as needed - much easier to swap one out of something goes wrong or is added to the list.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

BrettKeller

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »

Hey Jordan, hows it going?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm leaning towards the ProAV2 now, but the PCDI is tempting between the mono sum function and the slightly lower price tag.

I should mention, I already have a J48 which has the "merge" button, and I also have one of those EWI active DI's on the way. I also currently work for a company that provides IMP 2's. People knock them, but I always liked how they're impossible for people to screw up by bumping buttons or mixing up in/out.

As far as keys are concerned, I pretty much never run them in stereo, but I see a lot of guys with multiple boards. I suppose I could use the J48 to bring them down to one channel, but sometimes they have massively different output levels which then calls for two channels.

The sum to mono would be really great have for bringing DJ's and other stuff down to one channel. I'll have to ponder this...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »

I'm doing pretty well, Brett - thanks for asking! 

...I always liked how they're impossible for people to screw up by bumping buttons or mixing up in/out.
I'll put a plug in for Frank DeWitt's DI boxes - I can't say that I've used one, but they look solid and simple.  I'm set for DI's, but if I were buying "generic" ones, I'd definitely consider his.  Take a look around his site for details or PM him with any questions.

...I see a lot of guys with multiple boards. I suppose I could use the J48 to bring them down to one channel, but sometimes they have massively different output levels which then calls for two channels.
I'm all for taking feeds from each keyboard…you can sum each one to mono if needed.  Another way to go about it is to use a Rane SM26S or SM82S.  They can dial in the mix to their liking (or screw it up…but then, at least you know who to yell at).  It's also great as a splitter/buffer amp when you need to split lines or drive really long ones (think 300'-500' or more).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

BrettKeller

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »

So, I ended up winning a PCDI on eBay for $80. The only problem is, I didn't realize until after I won that it's a newer version that sacrifices the 1/4" inputs for RCA thru puts... Doh! Still a good deal though.

Now I'm wondering to myself if the ProAV2 is essentially a ProD2 with built in adapters.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »

So, I ended up winning a PCDI on eBay for $80. The only problem is, I didn't realize until after I won that it's a newer version that sacrifices the 1/4" inputs for RCA thru puts... Doh! Still a good deal though.

Now I'm wondering to myself if the ProAV2 is essentially a ProD2 with built in adapters.
I don't remember the PCDI ever having 1/4" inputs, Brett.  Anyone else?

I do remember that the older model did NOT sum-to-mono - that was a feature they added to the next generation.
Jordan Wolf
<><

Al Keltz

• Rochester, NY
    • Whirlwind
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

I don't remember the PCDI ever having 1/4" inputs, Brett.  Anyone else?

I do remember that the older model did NOT sum-to-mono - that was a feature they added to the next generation.

We'd had a number of requests to add 1/4" inputs to the pcDI but for space reasons, something had to go. So the THRU RCAs were eliminated on the latest version.

However, the RCAs are connected to the 3.5mm jack if you need to pass through.

- Al
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:03:45 PM by Al Keltz - Whirlwind »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.