ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EQing Lab subs.  (Read 3830 times)

timengle

EQing Lab subs.
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »

I'm just curious, how Much Equalization boost (in the 80 to 120 range), Can the Labsubs Handle? ( I generally cut 60 hz quiet a bit, due to being a little muddy)  I have ran 4 Labs for 2 years now and really would like to Make The Kick Drum stand out a little more Prominent. I only use my Labs for Live Sound, outside, usually 200 to 500 person events. I am just SCARED to death to over EQ those 12's. I'm powering the 4 labs with 4 Carvin DCM 2000's (bridged)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: EQing Lab subs.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

I'm just curious, how Much Equalization boost (in the 80 to 120 range), Can the Labsubs Handle? ( I generally cut 60 hz quiet a bit, due to being a little muddy)  I have ran 4 Labs for 2 years now and really would like to Make The Kick Drum stand out a little more Prominent. I only use my Labs for Live Sound, outside, usually 200 to 500 person events. I am just SCARED to death to over EQ those 12's. I'm powering the 4 labs with 4 Carvin DCM 2000's (bridged)

Lower your crossover point between the LF and the subs to something like 60-70hz, dial back the sub drive level.  Apply your correction to the LF.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »

"About that much".  How much?  "That much"  If you are looking for a "number"-it is not so easy.

It is often not a matter of boosting what you don't have enough of-but RATHER-getting rid of what you have to much of.  This works GREAT for getting the monitor clearer-but that is OT.

It is often not just the subs that you are interested in (although it is commonlymistaken as such), but rahter how well the subs are working with your full range cabinets.

It is also not a matter of how much you can "boost" the eq on the speakers-but rather what the overall level is ("power" going to them) that is important.

You could put a huge boost there with no problem-as long as you keep the overall level down.  OR you can turn them way up-and use little or no boost.

The "power" going to them (at least at those freq) would be the same either way.''Without knowing a more detailed analysis of the actual voltage being applied-the freq at which it is applied AND the capabilities of those drivers-in that cabinet at those freq-it is very hard to say exactly what you can or can't do.

Remember that the actual impedance of the cabinet (NOT just the drivers) can make a huge difference in how much VOLTAGE- you can apply.

you might be able to apply what you "think" is a lot of "power"-but if the impedance is high at those freq-then the VOLTAGE maybe high (as indicated on the "power meter" on your amp)-but IN REALITY the actual POWER being delivered to the drivers may not be very high-and they may be jsut fine and happy.

As you can see, it is a bit more complicated-than a simpel answer would suggest.

However-the BEST suggestion is that if you think you might be in trouble-then get more cabinets and more amps.  Then you don't have to run them as hard.

No matter how you try to phrase it-you will not get an exact answer-that you are searching for.  It jsut isn't that easy-sorry.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »

What top cabs?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.