ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: making a pruchase  (Read 15607 times)

Jason Huntoon

Re: making a pruchase
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »

While I'm not a big fan of the MG series desks, it will do the job.  Personally, I'd be looking at a used MixWiz.  The K12's are really nice sounding (especially for plastic boxes).  You're on the right path.  Too many people make the mistake of buying junk (thinking they're saving money).  Then they end up buying everything all over again later.  Enjoy the ride.

Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio
Thats why we ended up with the k12's.  We can expand and will, but don't want to have to rebuy things.  We could have gotten more pieces for less but we would ultimately replace it.

Jason Huntoon

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »

I like the previous suggestion of used HPR122s vs K12s. I have K12s and like them but the used HPRs will cost less and do just fine.

I have to have you ask yourself "Do the guitar and other instruments HAVE to go through the PA?".
Most guitar amps go louder than most lower end PAs. Have the guitar player learn how to set his volume appropriately.
The biggest expense you may face is tops and subs and amps that will make a big kick drum sound. Decide on priorities!!!

Get the band to sound good without a PA. Then make the PA get the vocals to sound real good. Now make some money for the next step.

The stuff you have is not so much POS but is simply the bottom of the line and you are simply exceeding it's design limits.
We usually don't put everything through the pa.  Maybe 1 in five shows.  But having the ability to do so adds to our ability to play larger spaces and have someone with ears infront of the pa mixing for us.  We are playing out about 4-6 times per month and the reliability of our pa got to be too much for us...  We had not been saving our money lol. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »

Thats why we ended up with the k12's.  We can expand and will, but don't want to have to rebuy things.  We could have gotten more pieces for less but we would ultimately replace it.

Just remember that "expanding" by adding more of the same speakers gets you into the realm of the less desirable effects of overlapping coverage from the cabinets.  If you expand by either (a) re-purposing the K12's when you upgrade to more powerful speakers or (b) start running a "dual-PA" setup, you'll still have the limitations inherent in trying to make multiple point-source boxes play nicely together.

Good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

We usually don't put everything through the pa.  Maybe 1 in five shows.  But having the ability to do so adds to our ability to play larger spaces and have someone with ears infront of the pa mixing for us.  We are playing out about 4-6 times per month and the reliability of our pa got to be too much for us...  We had not been saving our money lol.
When your PA is what you have, putting the band through it is NOT going to make it work for larger places! You need to budget way more money to be able to put the whole band through a PA.
I think Bennet used to have a spreadsheet that specced out a minimal bar band PA for about $15,000.00 (5 years ago).
Spending $2000.00 will get you a much better vocal PA but isn't going to get the whole band in it.

I forget where you are located but you are best served by owning the gear you use for most of your gigs and rent or hire when you have the occasional big one.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: making a purchase
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »

When your PA is what you have, putting the band through it is NOT going to make it work for larger places! You need to budget way more money to be able to put the whole band through a PA.
I think Bennet used to have a spreadsheet that specced out a minimal bar band PA for about $15,000.00 (5 years ago).
Spending $2000.00 will get you a much better vocal PA but isn't going to get the whole band in it.

I forget where you are located but you are best served by owning the gear you use for most of your gigs and rent or hire when you have the occasional big one.

+1

Hammer
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:37:07 PM by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »

C'mon, Rob.  If they EACH have their own K12's they can have a real acoustic-electric group.  Each of them can play through their own individual sound system. 

But then you'd have to hire someone to stir the soup.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lance Richens

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »

I always get a weird look from people when I say "If you have a good drum sound & a clear vocal, that's all you need". They seem to wonder if I'm being serious or not.... ;D
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Jason Huntoon

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

For this area (Rochester, NY) a $15,000 system blows away most of the house systems or even many of the rental places.  The largest band owned systems you see here are 2 15's and 2 subs.  In this area places where you cant talk because they are being blasted with walls of sound go out of business fast.  When we put the whole band into it we are typically either trying to achieve better balance or simple supplement and reinforce for a larger space. 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »

Thanks everyone, we are going with a couple of k12's and a yamaha mg124cx for now and adding subs down the road.  We decided to get something we can build on and not something we will have to replace.  For the rooms we play, that will do nicely.  We are not looking to put anyone on their asses.
That is a good system for vocals and guitar.  I think you are going to be pleased with it.

I think you would have been impressed had you auditioned the new Yamaha DXR15's though.  Lots of punch in a relatively inexpensive and solid package.

Let us know how it sounds!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.