ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: making a pruchase  (Read 12546 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: making a pruchase
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

There are times when we need the whole band (for drums most likely just the kick) through the pa.  For the most part we try to just use the pa for vocals but we do play to some larger crowds.  Our existing system (with the exception) of our mics is shit.  We may use the speakers for monitors and have a monitor amp... we need FOH. speakers (powered or amp) mixing board, sub?  all for under 2 grand that will not quit while we are playing (happens all the time with our Berin... piece of shit
OK maybe you are still missing some of the "issues".

Things such as "what are you currently using" would help.

You say you don't like your current sytem-exactly what is causing it to sound that way?

Have you ever thought that it might be YOU (or the band) that has no idea what they are doing and is actually causing the problems?  That is a VERY common problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are asking for a reliable system-with almost everything-for $2000?  I think you should simply rent until  you save up more money.  2K (especially when you subtract the tax-is NOT very much-for all the gear you are looking for.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jason Huntoon

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »

OK maybe you are still missing some of the "issues".

Things such as "what are you currently using" would help.

You say you don't like your current sytem-exactly what is causing it to sound that way?

Have you ever thought that it might be YOU (or the band) that has no idea what they are doing and is actually causing the problems?  That is a VERY common problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are asking for a reliable system-with almost everything-for $2000?  I think you should simply rent until  you save up more money.  2K (especially when you subtract the tax-is NOT very much-for all the gear you are looking for.
At first I assumed it was us.  After using this and other forums and our local guru shops, we found that the Behringer pmp2000 we are using is just not what it was billed to be.  It has a myriad of problems internally.  Our speakers are not cutting it either, they are just garbage 15's and its time for us to get something reliable and suits our needs.  Renting around here isn't a very viable option, we'll just leave it at that.  Right now for gigs that are important we are hiring out.  What we need is something we can put the band through without having it shut off.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »

At first I assumed it was us.  After using this and other forums and our local guru shops, we found that the Behringer pmp2000 we are using is just not what it was billed to be.  It has a myriad of problems internally.  Our speakers are not cutting it either, they are just garbage 15's and its time for us to get something reliable and suits our needs.  Renting around here isn't a very viable option, we'll just leave it at that.  Right now for gigs that are important we are hiring out.  What we need is something we can put the band through without having it shut off.

Lets start with what we know:

You have or are in a band.
You have some "garbage 15's"
You play for medium size groups sometimes around 400-600

Here are the barebone basics of what we need:

Itemize the gear you are currently using (that means makes/models)
How many pieces and of what in regards to the instruments
How many vocals and what mic's are you currently using.
How many monitors and of what type do you want to use - wedge, iem, etc.

You haven't posted enough information for anyone to provide any help.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

Our speakers are not cutting it either, they are just garbage 15's and its time for us to get something reliable and suits our needs. 

I'm not familiar with "garbage" brand speakers.  Can you give some specs or link to the garbage website?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rick Powell

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:00:45 pm »

After years of playing on other people's crap I decided to buy a system and a van to haul it in, so that at least I'd take the equipment's fault out of the equation.  Very little of what I bought was brand new except a PreSonus 1642 mixer that saved me from buying a pile of outboard gear.  I diligently looked for bargains and used pieces in good condition that matched and that got good reviews here.  Used Crown xti amps, used Danley TH 115 subs, a demo set of JTR Triple 8's, four Bag End floor monitors from a guy who wanted to move to more lightweight monitors, and an old AT&T van that had been well maintained and was ready to leave the fleet.  Then all the mics and stands and cords I needed (mostly used, bought here at Marketplace and on ebay), plus some new Blizzard led lights and some used Ultimate stands to hold the lights.  I can cover a crowd of 350 if they're gathered close, and I figure I spent $15,000 or so, give or take a few thousand, to get there.  I would not think of using any less than what I've got, and this is in bargain hunting mode.  I am sure that something halfway adequate could be found for less, but it you are starting out from scratch and only have $2000 to spend, you would literally have to find the bargain of the century in a used equipment sale to cover your needs for that price, IMO. 

Not that I haven't seen it happen.  A guy I know just got a pile of QSC amps given to him from a guy who stripped out a theater.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:03:07 pm by Rick Powell »

Jason Huntoon

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »

Lets start with what we know:

You have or are in a band.
You have some "garbage 15's"
You play for medium size groups sometimes around 400-600

Here are the barebone basics of what we need:

Itemize the gear you are currently using (that means makes/models)
How many pieces and of what in regards to the instruments
How many vocals and what mic's are you currently using.
How many monitors and of what type do you want to use - wedge, iem, etc.

You haven't posted enough information for anyone to provide any help.
2 Yorkville Performance Series Y115
1 Behringer pmp 2000
3 vocal 58's
2 vocal wireless 58's
1 keyboard direct through key amp
1 guitar through sm57
1 bass guitar direct via bass amp
1 sm57 on bass drum (don't judge its what we have)

Monitor system is all set that's something we don't need covered.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 10:15:50 pm »

1 Behringer pmp 2000
3 vocal 58's
2 vocal wireless 58's
1 guitar through sm57

Sounds like you need a decent console, amp and possibly some subs. I would think you could that for $2k...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

Jason,

I hear what you are saying; however, you are not going to cover 400-600 people with anything other than background music for 2K.

I regularly play for 100-300 people inside a bar environment.  For that I use a MixWiz (~$650.00 used), 2 JBL PRX618S-XLF's ($2600.00), 2 Yamaha DSR112's ($1600.00),  drum microphones (Sennheiser e609's (4) $400.00), Audix D6 ($250.00), 8 channel compressor/gate ACP88 ($400.00 used), TC Electronics M-One XL ($250.00 used).

I can handle a room of no more than 300 people with this and have concert level rock and roll.

In order to cover 400-600, I think you would be looking at a much more expensive rig than mine.

My recommendations would be for you to purchase a couple of the new Yamaha DXR115's.  These are quite potent without a sub and can be had for ~$1600.00 for a pair.

You should consider a used Allen & Heath mixwiz for ~$650.00.

I know that this puts you over budget, but this system will sound really good, be really reliable, and is light and easy to setup. 

When you have more money, you could get some subs to go with this setup.

Hope this helps.

Rick Powell

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:48 pm »

1 Behringer pmp 2000
3 vocal 58's
2 vocal wireless 58's
1 guitar through sm57

If somehow you could increase your budget, you might find some used QSC powered speakers (like a pair of HPR 122i 12"+horn or 152i 15"+horn tops and a pair of HPR 181i 18" subs) and a used Yamaha 01v mixer (not the 96 model which is newer and more expensive). Figure about $700 apiece for the cabinets if you can find 'em, they don't show up used often; the 01v is all over ebay for $500-600 and has built in efx and dynamics.  And an Audix D6 for your kick drum mic, less than $200 if used and in good condition.  About $3500 for all if you look around.  And I agree, don't mic the kick drum or run bass thru the system without subs, you are doing more harm than good.  A vocals only system can be 2 speakers on sticks, but don't expect to groove 300 or more people without subs.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:54:59 pm by Rick Powell »

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.