ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSS DPR 901 alternative for dynamic EQ?  (Read 15074 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
BSS DPR 901 alternative for dynamic EQ?
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »

Been having a lot of fun with Digico's dynamic EQ recently. I have a WTB in the marketplace for the discontinued BSS DPR 901, it's the only hardware dynamic EQ I'm familiar with and it's a little hard to come by.

Any comparable dynamic EQs out there I should be looking at as well?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: BSS DPR 901 alternative for dynamic EQ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »

Been having a lot of fun with Digico's dynamic EQ recently. I have a WTB in the marketplace for the discontinued BSS DPR 901, it's the only hardware dynamic EQ I'm familiar with and it's a little hard to come by.

i use a behringer DEQ2496 as an IEM processor.  i make pretty heavy use of the Dynamic EQ. in fact, that's probably it's primary function along with safety limiter.  works well for me.  cheap too...

all the usual B-word caveats apply, but i've got 4 of these in use in various places and they've all done the job for me.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »

Hmm, I'm looking for more of a money channel piece for a small outboard rack to go with my Si Compact. I'll already be going A/D again, I don't want to go a 3rd time. Pretty much, is there anything like the BSS that's still in production?

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »

Hmm, I'm looking for more of a money channel piece for a small outboard rack to go with my Si Compact. I'll already be going A/D again, I don't want to go a 3rd time. Pretty much, is there anything like the BSS that's still in production?

I don't know if it's still in production, but I like the XTA D2

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

i don't know of any analog dynamic EQ still in production.  heck, i don't know of any other analog dynamic EQ that was EVER made besides the aforementioned BSS.  which is probably what you really want if you're looking for 'money channel analog dynamic EQ' anyway.  but yeah, might be hard to find...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »

i don't know of any analog dynamic EQ still in production.  heck, i don't know of any other analog dynamic EQ that was EVER made besides the aforementioned BSS.  which is probably what you really want if you're looking for 'money channel analog dynamic EQ' anyway.  but yeah, might be hard to find...

I wonder why? I've been loving having access to a bunch of dynamic EQs on the SD8 I'm using. It hard to imagine it didn't catch on more.

I'll look into the XTA!

Thanks.

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »

I wonder why? I've been loving having access to a bunch of dynamic EQs on the SD8 I'm using. It hard to imagine it didn't catch on more.

I'll look into the XTA!

Thanks.

It did, but Digital consoles became the norm. For outboard pieces i like the bss 901, xta d2,XTA Sidd, Tc Eq station. But my favorite is the Waves plug ins C6 and C4. With Waves multirack you can run them on your computer, and with a good sound card you can get acceptable latency analogue (2,5-5 ms) and lower with digital (1-2 ms) connection.  Having a setup thats flexible and connects to any/most consoles with out too much fuzz has really saved my mixes a lot of times. And using hardware that I can use for Recording and measureing/tuning the PA, aka Im carrying it any way.
mvh
Rasmus

Micah McFadden

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:15 AM »

If you use the AES in/out then it would eliminate all of those A/D D/A conversions.  I also would recommend the Waves multirack with the Waves C6.  If you are set on an analog piece, then I believe that the Rane C4 also has a dynamic eq fuction on it.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »

Ah that's an idea, I'd need a computer, an interface with AES I/O, and the software right?

My one AES isn't always free, but I've got some plugs and I think a little interface with AES somewhere around so that might be an easy option for when it is. Still will be on the lookout for a 901 or the other unit above for a good price used.

Thanks all.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

Br zluu

John Penkala

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

The 901 is one of the main reasons I haven't personally purchased a budget digital console. The ability to attenuate the 1.6k from a strong female vocalist at the top of her dynamic range without touching the system eq is worth alot to me. The other main reasons are the fact that I have a bunch of other really nice analog gear that has been paid off for years, ie; BSS varicurves, Shure automixers, SPL Transient Designer, Lexicon reverbs etc. However, it is just a matter of time before the low end digital consoles offer this added functionality and when they do, I will make the purchase. Anyway, you may want to look into the XTA d2, or SIDD processors. I thought at one point TC Electronic had one as well. YMMV

JP

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »

The 901 is one of the main reasons I haven't personally purchased a budget digital console. The ability to attenuate the 1.6k from a strong female vocalist at the top of her dynamic range without touching the system eq is worth alot to me. The other main reasons are the fact that I have a bunch of other really nice analog gear that has been paid off for years, ie; BSS varicurves, Shure automixers, SPL Transient Designer, Lexicon reverbs etc. However, it is just a matter of time before the low end digital consoles offer this added functionality and when they do, I will make the purchase. Anyway, you may want to look into the XTA d2, or SIDD processors. I thought at one point TC Electronic had one as well. YMMV

JP

DBX DDP?

TCE IIIC in envelope mode?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Phil Hornung

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:06:34 AM »

I'll already be going A/D again, I don't want to go a 3rd time.

A big +1 for the XTA D2. Used one on a tour a few years back for about 60 shows. I've used the 901 lots too and it's good, but the XTA is better.

The D2 is no longer made, however when they were making it, it was available with and AES-3 I/O setup. This would not have been standard on every unit. From what I remember you could order it with either analog or digital I/O, but not both. I doubt there are an abundance of the digital ones out there, but if you could find one, sounds like it would be just the thing you're looking for: high end great sounding unit, hands on piece of rack gear, no A/D D/A conversion.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

The 901 is one of the main reasons I haven't personally purchased a budget digital console. The ability to attenuate the 1.6k from a strong female vocalist at the top of her dynamic range without touching the system eq is worth alot to me.
JP

The DPR404.  Its De-esser is useful in The Taming of the Shrew - or any vocals for that matter.  And no digitalia.

John Penkala

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »

The DPR404.  Its De-esser is useful in The Taming of the Shrew - or any vocals for that matter.  And no digitalia.

Notching out 1.6k vs. attenuating everything from 1.6k up are different approaches entirely. The de-esser on the 404 is nice but still no replacement for the 901.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

XTA D2 has definitely made my eBay cruising list now, thanks!

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Notching out 1.6k vs. attenuating everything from 1.6k up are different approaches entirely. The de-esser on the 404 is nice but still no replacement for the 901.

Good point.  Although I can usually find my way out of a situation using only the 404 and maybe a different microphone, I actually have had a few rare instances where a 901 might have done the trick.  No doubt they are worth every penny...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.