ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre or goofy consoles from the old days?  (Read 58050 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Bizarre or goofy consoles from the old days?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »

A big NY/NJ/CT band - Rat Race Choir - had a "quad" club sound system in the 70's-80's controlled by bolted-together Shure M67's. It was amazing for its day, but in retrospect it probably had a frightening FR, noise floor, etc...

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

Back in the early days a lot of the mixers that were in use were one-of-a-kind or handbuilt by the "sound company". I know we built some strange creatures, and I used a few built by others.

What were some of your strangest encounters, either your own or from others?

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »

I remember "short loaded" consoles: 26 inputs in a 32 frame, etc. The really poor/optimistic soundguys wouldn't even spring for the factory strip "blanks" to close up the console. Usually the rest of the rig was similarly & "creatively" compromised.

Gus Housen

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »

I remember seeing alot of Old neptune consoles ( I have a gl2200 in a old neptune case), as well as a few troupers, Some old Studiomasters, lots of old tapcos, a few biamps ( not as many as you think for the NW) and a weird rack mount Malachi. Later it was a suprisingly large amount of peavey Mark 4's and a few yamaha's with the ocational sound craft or Hill console. 

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »

Ah... Cyberlogic. Why don't I miss those amps?

Anyone remember Malatchi consoles? The McCune consoles? Stephenson Interface?

Mac
Yes; Used a Stephenson Interface console.Brings back Memories!

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

I, and probably many others, would love to see some pictures of these home grown beauties, if you guys have any.  I'm just old enough to have seen a few, but anyone younger than, say forty, might have a bit of time wrapping their mind around some of these creations.  Thanks!
In the 1980s and before, with import licensing in place in NZ, unless you were in broadcasting, gummint, had truckloads of money or friends in high places, building it yourself was THE ONLY option.
Here are a couple of the many I built :
One big (this was half of it)-   http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/ARMixer.JPG
One small-   http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/tmix.JPG
and one somebody else built in the 1960s that came to live with me (the mixer is the top bit, the 1300w tube amp below)- http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/bigamp.JPG
M
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:51:39 PM by Mike Diack »

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:40 AM »

In the 1980s and before, with import licensing in place in NZ, unless you were in broadcasting, gummint, had truckloads of money or friends in high places, building it yourself was THE ONLY option.
Here are a couple of the many I built :
One big (this was half of it)-   http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/ARMixer.JPG
One small-   http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/tmix.JPG
and one somebody else built in the 1960s that came to live with me (the mixer is the top bit, the 1300w tube amp below)- http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/bigamp.JPG
M

Hey Mike, have you seen this one on Trademe at the moment http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/pa-pro-audio-dj-equipment/mixers/auction-489960750.htm
 :)

James A. Griffin

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

I was designing production recording consoles by the late '70s but the first company I worked with (LOFT) went belly up before delivering many finished units. They had orders but couldn't manage the business side of running a company adequately (I was just the circuit design guy).

JR -  Where was LOFT located?   We had one of their boxes at Malaco in the late 70's.   I think it was called a "Delay Line / Flanger" or somthing like it.   I remember liking it quite a bit.   It did some things none of our other boxes would do, and sounded better than the Eventide Flanger that was so popular at the time.    IIRC, John Fry at Ardent had suggested we look into getting it.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »

JR -  Where was LOFT located?   We had one of their boxes at Malaco in the late 70's.   I think it was called a "Delay Line / Flanger" or somthing like it.   I remember liking it quite a bit.   It did some things none of our other boxes would do, and sounded better than the Eventide Flanger that was so popular at the time.    IIRC, John Fry at Ardent had suggested we look into getting it.

Loft was located in Manchester CT. just outside Hartford.

Yup the Loft 440 and later Loft 450 delay line/flanger were nice sounding studio efx... but digital delay kind of killed the market for analog delay lines.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »

Certainly not bizarre or goofy but with the sad death of Neil Muncy I will mention using one of his creations, the SS ( Suburban Sound ) 3 mixer.  A band I knew named Grits back in the day had built their own 1" eight track studio ( I'm talking early to mid 70s back in the day here ) and the mixer was an SS3 supplemented by a pair of API compressors and EQ modules. They brought the mixer out for their live gigs as well. My own system was still at the Tapco mixer level so being able to get the use of the SS3 occasionally was a real treat.  Melcor potted op amps, sealed Allen Bradley pots, that thing was built like a tank. 

It also gave me a life long appreciation for the idea that audio equipment does NOT have to have dead black control surfaces to be worthwhile. ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.