Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Bizarre or goofy consoles from the old days?

(1/13) > >>

duane massey:
Back in the early days a lot of the mixers that were in use were one-of-a-kind or handbuilt by the "sound company". I know we built some strange creatures, and I used a few built by others.

What were some of your strangest encounters, either your own or from others?

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: duane massey on May 20, 2012, 04:57:41 PM ---Back in the early days a lot of the mixers that were in use were one-of-a-kind or handbuilt by the "sound company". I know we built some strange creatures, and I used a few built by others.

What were some of your strangest encounters, either your own or from others?

--- End quote ---
I was in the business for about 6 years or more before I owned a "real" console.  I was using homemade consoles before that.  And when I say homemade-I hand drew each circuit path on the circuit boards-etched them in the bathtub and drilled each hole by hand.  Not to mention pressing on each letter of each control one at a time.  So "Bass" took 4 letter presses-on each channel.

Of course the consoles were limited in functionality-such as a 3 band eq and 4 auxes per channel.  But that was plenty back then.

I also built my own lighting consoles and dimpaks and actually ran into one of them sitll being used several years ago. 

I have no idea about the audio consoles-but I really doubt they are still around.  But they served me well-while I had them.

duane massey:
Ivan, when did you start building your own consoles?

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: duane massey on May 20, 2012, 08:32:47 PM ---Ivan, when did you start building your own consoles?

--- End quote ---
My first one was a 4 channel with volume-bass and treble with a master volume on the output-no auxs.

The chassis was gottten from my first guitar amp-(a Kay 35 watt with a sinlge 12" speaker).  I blew it up before I realized how important impedance was.  It didn't like driving something like a 1/2 ohm load.  The amp version that I had only had 2 inputs and volume and tone control.  But I removed the covering and there were all these holes (for upper level models) sitting there just waiting to be used.

That would have been back in late 1976.

Next was a 6 channel with volume bass middle and treble per channel and 1 aux.

Around 1981 came a 12 channel that had several auxes.  I started-but never finished a 24 channel console that was "going to be great".  It had a noise problem I never could work out-so many hundreds of hours went into the trash.  THAT was a hard thing to throw away-but I needed the room.  The faceplate was made from an old rack door.  It took quite awhile to drill all those holes.

My first "real" console was a Biamp 1621.  I used that for MANY a gig. Simple and easy to use-worked great.

duane massey:
We had a small family business that morphed into a sound and lighting company, started in 1970. The first mixer we built used several Archer 4-channel hi-Z mixers that we deconstructed and built into a chassis. We used slide controls, because we saw a picture of a UK console that had sliders, and used those ugly colored plastic knobs. The first (and last) act to use it was Osibisa. The engineer was really nice and used the mixer without any negative comments, but after the show he said "You should be aware that the the slider should go up in volume when you raise it. I haven't used many consoles with sliders, but the other ones were like that". Now THAT was embarrassing, not to mention the 75' high-impedance snake. This was 1971, in a college gym here in Houston.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version