ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fog Machine  (Read 7406 times)

Robin Parker

• Never teach a pig to sing.....
    • Suffolk Audio Services
Fog Machine
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »

This is possibly an elementary question, but I'm having a bit of a time getting a straight answer....  My needs are simple...  I'm looking for a basic fog machine with DMX control...  Here's the "rub" though... we do production work for churches and schools, and fog is used as a 'special effect' (duh...) meaning that the fog has got to be produced on demand - instantly - at (very) precise moments. The run of the mill foggers all have a heater duty cycle where the unit will be ready for 5 minutes (give or take) then off for 1 to 2 minutes while reheating....  This is all well and good until the Wicked Witch of the West is standing around on stage waiting before the fogger to go back on line... To 'counter' this, we'll typically place 2 or 3 foggers at a given place on stage in hopes that at least one of them are "on line" at the precise moment of need - even this approach is not 100% guarenteed....   any help will be appreciated!

James Brooks

Re: Fog Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

We use an American DJ Haze Generator.
I know, it ain't a fogger.
I use haze juice, I want a mist only seen when light pass through it.
But I have used other liquids that created fog. Not what I wanted.

Jim Brooks
casper band

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »

Any pro-quality machine should not have to re-heat once it is at operating temp if it is just idling. I've had good luck with the Antari M5 and X310, but I typically don't use DMX. What machines have you been using?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Robin Parker

• Suffolk Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »

We use an American DJ Haze Generator.
I know, it ain't a fogger.
I use haze juice, I want a mist only seen when light pass through it.
But I have used other liquids that created fog. Not what I wanted.

Jim Brooks
casper band

Mr. Brooks! Good to see you here! I hope all is well with you and Brother Dave!  I have (and love) the HASEBASE BaseHazer Pro - one of the best investments I've made... but my need is when having a play or other function where a blast of heavy fog is desired, it must be available instantly, on demand... no ifs ands or buts....  I have (6 foggers) in at least three different brands (all 'cheapies') but they all have an operating "duty cycle" - they are 'ready' about 75/80% of the time, but will go into reheat standby mode about every 5/6 minutes for about a minute - and that’s typically the precise moment fog is needed...  so to (try to) skirt this issue, I'll set 2 or 3 foggers at the same point - mathematically increasing my odds of at least one machine being 'at the ready' when needed - but even having three machines is no guarantee of success....

Robin Parker

• Suffolk Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:17 PM »

Any pro-quality machine should not have to re-heat once it is at operating temp if it is just idling. I've had good luck with the Antari M5 and X310, but I typically don't use DMX. What machines have you been using?

I think most are MBT types....  not very high dollar.... but they all work well.... I had to create 150ft remote extensions for all of them..   DMX control is the only way to go....!!

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »

High End Systems F-100

best thing I've ever used for making a big cloud of smoke on demand
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

DanGlass

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »

You could look into the CO2 units.  This would give you a large cloud burst on demand without the after effect of having a big cloud of fog hanging around.  I have even seen the small moving head versions, DMX controlled, and you wont have the worry of waiting for it to heat up.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

F100's are great machines, but I can't find a price online since they have re-released them. I believe they are extremely high $$, and the DMX remote is a separate item, as is the standard remote.
The Martin Magnum series was a decent machine, but haven't used one in ages.

Robin, I suspect you will have to go up to a better (more $$) machine to achieve your goal.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

F100's are great machines, but I can't find a price online since they have re-released them. I believe they are extremely high $$, and the DMX remote is a separate item, as is the standard remote.
The Martin Magnum series was a decent machine, but haven't used one in ages.

Robin, I suspect you will have to go up to a better (more $$) machine to achieve your goal.
a used F100 runs about $500 with the dmx remote...they're not overly expensive
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »

When using the low dollar fog machine one needs to consider timing.  Create a box with three relays in them, one to control each fogger.  The relays should be 12 volt control relays supporting 120 volt 10 amp relays, that will turn on and off the electric supply. 

One box per location with two or three foggers. 

a control switch then can turn off fogger one for 1 minute and turn on.  Then one minute later same for fogger two and one minute later fogger three then one minute later back to one.  This rotation will provide for foggers to be reliable on power and fog cue. 

box and parts will be around 120 each.  three cheap foggers is 150 and then the control is box with three 12 volt toggles switch 40 dollars  12 volt power can be found in old computer XT power supply .   control cable from control box to relay needs 4 strand thermostat cable

another option is X10 controller and appliance modules.  reduces building and wires.    X10 does not like surge supressors in power strips.  X10 prefers to be on the same phase for all devices controlled.  x10 will cost around  100 for controller and three appliance modules.  about 20 per added module. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.