ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Large format analog boards  (Read 21597 times)

Lachlan Manns

• Classic LAB
Large format analog boards
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

I was just wondering, do nay manufactures still make large analog boards like 40ch+ or have they all gone digital.
I now see a lot of digital boards being made and only small analog boards like 16ch or 24ch being made, and now the only the large analog boards are avabile second hand.

I still prefer analog over digital compared to other people only because it's what I've learnt on, it's easier to use and I prefer to see everything at once in live sound.
Lachie

Allen & Heath GL 2800 40ch
Dbx 266xl
Tc Electronic MOne XL
Klark Teknik DN360
Dynacord XA 4000 FOH amp
ElectroVoice CP1800 Foldback amp
Dynacord FX 12 Full range speakers
Dynacord fx 20 subs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Large format analog boards
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »

I was just wondering, do nay manufactures still make large analog boards like 40ch+ or have they all gone digital.
I now see a lot of digital boards being made and only small analog boards like 16ch or 24ch being made, and now the only the large analog boards are avabile second hand.

I still prefer analog over digital compared to other people only because it's what I've learnt on, it's easier to use and I prefer to see everything at once in live sound.

APB Dynasonics
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Lachlan Manns

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »

APB Dynasonics
Never heard of that company
Lachie

Allen & Heath GL 2800 40ch
Dbx 266xl
Tc Electronic MOne XL
Klark Teknik DN360
Dynacord XA 4000 FOH amp
ElectroVoice CP1800 Foldback amp
Dynacord FX 12 Full range speakers
Dynacord fx 20 subs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

Go thou and Google.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

if you do a search on this forum of APB, you should find quite a lot of info.  it's a newer company started by some very well respected console designers from Crest IIRC.  regardless, they've garnered a very strong reputation for their products and support in a very short time.  if you're serious about a new large format analog desk, they are the place to start...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »

The market has spoken - the advantages of weight savings, sound quality, enormous processing capacity, digital snakes, etc. have moved a huge part of the industry towards digital. 

If ROI matters to you at all and you're stuck on analog, take advantage of the incredible prices on used analog consoles.  If you watch around you can get Yamaha PM4000s for a couple thousand bucks.  Even Midas boards are selling for pennies (or maybe nickles or dimes) on the dollar.  If you need a new one, then APB is your choice.

If you're willing to learn something new, after even a gig or two on a digital board you will start to see the advantages.  I'm much faster on a digital board than an analog board.  Sends on faders, scene recall, integration of things like tap tempo on the surface rather than reaching to a rack, not to mention VASTLY more tools - better EQ, dynamics processing on everything, graphic EQs on everything - make the move to digital a one way street.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »

A big +1 for APB products.

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

Soundcraft?:http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=123

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

+100 for APB

If your looking for smaller "buss" large ch count I think Allen & Heath is still making the GL2800.

edit: for clarification
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:03:55 PM by Thomas Lamb »
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.