ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker on kick drum  (Read 8689 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: speaker on kick drum
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »

Not to sidetrack things, but what does this discussion have to do with Installed Sound?  Might it get more attention in the LAB or LAB Lounge forums?

Added:  Thanks, Mac!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:13:02 PM by Brad Weber »

Jeremy Oswin

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »

In the studio several years ago I used a 15" stage monitor as a kick mic along with an ATM25.  I ran it to a DI and had to attenuate it 40 dB to not overload my mic pres.  It had strong low freq output and sounded very muffled on the top end.  When time aligned with the ATM25 it sounded surprisingly tight, but a LOT of 50-60 Hz.  I think I low passed it at 200-300 Hz, gated & compressed, then blended it around 30% for extra gut punch.  For me it was more hassle than was worth so I haven't done it since - but the band sure liked the idea!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

I would only every utilize a subkick device in addition to a "normal" mic…more like icing on the cake as compared to the whole kit and caboodle...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

In the studio several years ago I used a 15" stage monitor as a kick mic along with an ATM25.  I ran it to a DI and had to attenuate it 40 dB to not overload my mic pres.  It had strong low freq output and sounded very muffled on the top end.  When time aligned with the ATM25 it sounded surprisingly tight, but a LOT of 50-60 Hz.  I think I low passed it at 200-300 Hz, gated & compressed, then blended it around 30% for extra gut punch.  For me it was more hassle than was worth so I haven't done it since - but the band sure liked the idea!

Don't know for sure but I'd guess the 50/60hz boost you were seeing was the box tunning freq. The bass drum head would excite the box and the increased output in that range would make it down the line.  Plugging the boxes port"s" may have helped or at least gave you a different overall response.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.