ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus lock-up  (Read 27107 times)

John Roll

Re: Presonus lock-up
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »

Which is why I would check the AR1215 to make sure all components are functioning to spec.  I did have one of them go bad quite a while ago.

I'm going to connect a DVM to one of the outputs to see if I can catch anything, but if there was a problem with the Furman, the loaner would've acted up also. I'm still leaning towards something that was done during its last visit to Presonus,especially since the repair notes say that the PS was brought up to spec. We'll see...I'll post the results when I get the board back.
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

I'm going to connect a DVM to one of the outputs to see if I can catch anything, but if there was a problem with the Furman, the loaner would've acted up also. I'm still leaning towards something that was done during its last visit to Presonus,especially since the repair notes say that the PS was brought up to spec. We'll see...I'll post the results when I get the board back.

The way to test this device is to plug it into a Powerstat (tm)  (variac)  with a lamp as a load on the output. 

As you vary the input voltage up and down the lamp should remain on and about the same brightness.   

According to published specs this unit operates with an input  of 97 to 141 vac. with an output of 120 vac +/- 5 vac

If you have a dead TRIAC (or solid state switch) you may briefly loose all output until it selects the next available switch... and then the output has jumped 10 volts from the original setting instead of 5.

John Roll

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

I had an incident last night with my StudioLive 16.4.2 where sporadically the board would freeze, no output for a few seconds then come back. The display did not register a full reset. I am attributing this to low voltage. I believe that I saw the BNC lamp dim right before each lock up. Has anyone else experienced this? I was getting my power from the power amp rack which is ~30' from the stage, using 14/3 from there to FOH. I'm thinking that the next time in there I should get a separate circuit for FOH, away from the amp rack. Suggestion?

John

UPDATE:
I got the console back from Presonus. They replaced the DSP board and the power supply board. All seems to be well. Of course, I practically have a brand new console seeing as how all or most all of the innards have been replaced. I still think this is a great board. Thanks to Boynton Pro Audio and Presonus for getting things back to normal.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »

In other words they "shotgunned" the repair. A term and repair method used when it either becomes cheaper to just replace everything that might cause the problem, or the engineer can't find the problem. In any case good luck, and let us know how things are working in a few weeks time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

In other words they "shotgunned" the repair. A term and repair method used when it either becomes cheaper to just replace everything that might cause the problem, or the engineer can't find the problem. In any case good luck, and let us know how things are working in a few weeks time.

And it might be cheaper because it requires less bench time from the tech.

5 or 6 years ago, I bought a number of Presonus Digimax 48K units on eBay, some with known issues.    I first called Presonus to estimate repair costs and they told me that for a flat $85, they'd replace the motherboard, pots, and any broken knobs.   And pay shipping cost back to me.

I thought that fair  ;-)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.