ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wirelessly linking 2 separte PA Systems  (Read 4340 times)

Steve Moland

wirelessly linking 2 separte PA Systems
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »

I need have a 2nd PA system running as a slave about 1/4 mile line of sight from where I will be standing. I've done this concept using a wireless mic belt pack transmitter to a wireless receiver when I need speakers on the other side of a road. However the range is 350-400 feet max.

Are there any other wireless transmitters available. There are transmitters/receivers called Nano stations which will do it digitally if you can connect with Ethernet. Their range is 5-6 miles line of sight and not all that bad with a fuzzy line of sight closer in. (They are used by the folks who digitally time road races)

I suppose I could use them if I could find some analog to digital converts and back with connects that can connect to cat5 Ethernet cable.

Does anyone know how to do this. BTW I don't have to worry about the sound being out of sync as one system is running down a city block going East, I'm on the corner and the other system is going south 90 degrees down a side street. Neither place can hear the other sound .

Thanks
Steve in NH
Steve Moland
Announcers/Emcee and sound systems
Endurance Sports Event Announcing & Management
Road Races  -Triathlons
Adventure Races - Open Water Swims

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: wirelessly linking 2 separte PA Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »

I need have a 2nd PA system running as a slave about 1/4 mile line of sight from where I will be standing. I've done this concept using a wireless mic belt pack transmitter to a wireless receiver when I need speakers on the other side of a road. However the range is 350-400 feet max.

Are there any other wireless transmitters available. There are transmitters/receivers called Nano stations which will do it digitally if you can connect with Ethernet. Their range is 5-6 miles line of sight and not all that bad with a fuzzy line of sight closer in. (They are used by the folks who digitally time road races)

I suppose I could use them if I could find some analog to digital converts and back with connects that can connect to cat5 Ethernet cable.

Does anyone know how to do this. BTW I don't have to worry about the sound being out of sync as one system is running down a city block going East, I'm on the corner and the other system is going south 90 degrees down a side street. Neither place can hear the other sound .

Thanks
Steve in NH

You can use ShoutCast or any other IP based service.  It's free to get it.  You just need a ShoutCast server.  Mine costs $50/year and I get free web hosting in the bargain.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »

I assume you know this, but digital != ethernet, and cat5 != ethernet.  The Nano stations of which you speak are Ethernet-based.  You would need a device that can get the audio over Ethernet, such as a computer running Shoutcast as Dick mentioned, not just to a cat5 cable.  A balun that "converts" analog audio to run over cat5 will not work, and even many of the digital snake systems that use cat5 are likely not compatable, either for electrical reasons, protocol reasons, latency intolerance, etc.

I'm with Dick - get the audio into a computer and use internet broadcasting tools that are far more tolerant of lousy links.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »

I need have a 2nd PA system running as a slave about 1/4 mile line of sight from where I will be standing.

If it's only 1300' unobstructed line of sight, the perpetually recommended Lectrosonics IFBT4 (in 400 series mode) with an R400a or UCR411 receiver, a pair of PWS helicals at a proper elevation and low loss coax will work just fine. From most RF savvy rental houses.

Converting the audio to IP and back again is unnecessary effort and complexity given the circumstances.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Steve Moland

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »

If it's only 1300' unobstructed line of sight, the perpetually recommended Lectrosonics IFBT4 (in 400 series mode) with an R400a or UCR411 receiver, a pair of PWS helicals at a proper elevation and low loss coax will work just fine. From most RF savvy rental houses.

Converting the audio to IP and back again is unnecessary effort and complexity given the circumstances.

Thanks everyone for replying.

All these suggestions may be good in some situations. I like the internet one because of the availability of Laptops on site for other uses. However I also like the Lectrosonic option because there are a few times where I'm in the boonies at a lake in the mountains where there is no cell or internet service, and the Triathlon swim start can be a long way from the bike and run portion. I've one where it's a half mile.

Steve
Announcers on the Run
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

Steve Moland

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

Henry, Henry, Henry. One wonders if, as you posted this, you were having fun thinking "Hope this guy is sitting down when he finds out the price."  ;)

Yowzer, is that pretty stiff tuition for the gear.

However, I've one event that will be up against it if I can't provide the logistical participant crowd control over the time leading up the start of a race.

What would a proper set up cost to rent?

Steve
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »

Henry, Henry, Henry. One wonders if, as you posted this, you were having fun thinking "Hope this guy is sitting down when he finds out the price."  ;)

Yowzer, is that pretty stiff tuition for the gear.
Less than $3000.00 street price to purchase a set up with the R400a is not bad at all for the performance and long life span it offers. About the same for a channel of high quality wireless mic. Further, the antennas can be used for any of your wireless mic needs; the R400a can work with 3000 and 2000 (in Hi-Dyn mode) series Sennheiser transmitters, as can the IFBT4 with the corresponding Sennheiser receivers; and Lectro R1a IFB receivers are not that expensive and readily available from rental houses if you ever need IFB/cueing.

However, I've one event that will be up against it if I can't provide the logistical participant crowd control over the time leading up the start of a race.

What would a proper set up cost to rent?
Most of the better rental houses would likely provide this setup for about $125 - $150.00 per day. PM me if you'd like a quote.

Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

David Sheldon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »

The Shoutcast recommendation should work fine. You should not need a connection to the internet if you make a wireless bridge using the Ubiquiti Nano gear. Run the shoutcast server on a laptop at the master site. Then run the client on a second laptop at the slave site.

I would go with the 5.8GHz models (Nanostation 5) to avoid the generally busier 2.4GHz spectrum.

Test it to make sure the laptops will not go into sleep or hibernate mode if left alone.

Steve Moland

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »

The Shoutcast recommendation should work fine. You should not need a connection to the internet if you make a wireless bridge using the Ubiquiti Nano gear. Run the shoutcast server on a laptop at the master site. Then run the client on a second laptop at the slave site.

I would go with the 5.8GHz models (Nanostation 5) to avoid the generally busier 2.4GHz spectrum.

Test it to make sure the laptops will not go into sleep or hibernate mode if left alone.

Thanks David.  This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll get Shoutcast working and then introduce using the nanostations.

The laptops are always running off the A/C adapters because I need either wall power or my generators for the Amps. I set laptops to never dim or suspend when powered that way because I run some race software which I always need to see and control.  The Honda generator line was god's gift to outdoor sound reinforcement. They are so quite but very costly [worth every penny though]
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.