Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Welcome to historyofconcertsound.org

(1/3) > >>

Doug Fowler:
Use this forum for photos and discussions about SR in the olden days.

I will move content over from historyofconcertsound.org.  I had been maintaining it elsewhere; this is its new home.

General rule of thumb: 1979 or earlier, for now.

If you have content from before 1980 and you wish to share, please do so.

edit for bump to top, to "stickify"...

duane massey:
This is going to be fun, if any of us old guys can really remember that far back. Thanks, Doug.

Scott Carneval:

--- Quote from: duane massey on May 08, 2012, 06:19:21 PM ---This is going to be fun, if any of us old guys can really remember that far back. Thanks, Doug.

--- End quote ---

I wasn't alive, but I'm definitely interested to read more about the systems back then

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on May 08, 2012, 05:16:34 PM ---Use this forum for photos and discussions about SR in the olden days.

I will move content over from historyofconcertsound.org.  I had been maintaining it elsewhere; this is its new home.

General rule of thumb: 1979 or earlier, for now.

If you have content from before 1980 and you wish to share, please do so.

--- End quote ---
Since our industry is fairly young (saying it started in the late 60's-for large scale shows)-there are people still alive who can contribute.

For the young guys-it was A LOT HARDER back then.  With power transfer (not voltage transfer like now)-termination of inputs/outputs-mostly unbalanced lines-low power-lots of electronic failures (a lot of shows had a repairman on site with a bench to fix the gear that broke during the show), lack of standard connectors (although we are headed that way again in the digital relm) and so forth and so on.

When you look at some of the major acts and what type/size systems they used-it is quite small by todays standards.  For example Cream toured with a 500 watt system-Woodstock used a 10Kw system-Deep Purple used a 10Kw system-Grand Funk used a 14Kw system and so forth.  Now those wattages are barely a decent monitor rig-let alone a PA for a large crowd.  And lots of medium sized acts used 1 or 2 Shure Vocal Masters-with 100 watts each!

Thank you for starting this-it should be quite interesting.

Ivan Beaver:
I found this interesting

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/pa/pa.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version