ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL5  (Read 42091 times)

Mark Turner

Re: Yamaha CL5
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

Thanks Tom, I will add the GLD to my list.

Mac, that is a cool idea!
Mark Turner
Volunteer Tech Coordinator
Woodlake UMC
Chesterfield, VA

reidwwall

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »

Hi.
I'm demoing a CL5 here in a few weeks as a monitor console. 
How many faders does the A&H have? The Roland? The SC48?
I really like having plenty of faders to work with, especially if you don't have super "pro" level engineers on your team (my crew is a mix)..... I believe (could be wrong on this) that Dante is going to be changing/upgrading everything to AVB at some point, which is a new open standard, so potentially it would integrate well with other AVB stuff?

My advice to you- don't do any personal monitor system (IE- Aviom, Hearback, roland, pivoted), just get a second CL5 control surface to mix monitors on..... Way more flexible!

The CL5 is pretty cost effective, has heaps of faders, is really easy to use, and the virtual soundcheck function isn't expensive (Pro Tools 10 is an extra $500 or so, and only 32 channels).....

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »

The CL5 is pretty cost effective, has heaps of faders, is really easy to use, and the virtual soundcheck function isn't expensive (Pro Tools 10 is an extra $500 or so, and only 32 channels).....
The CL5 is 2X the cost of the ILive T112.  The ILive T112 has 28 faders.  The CL5 has 34.  Cost effective is a VERY relative concept.  The CL5 at $40K+ is not what I would call cost effective, especially compared to what the OP's currently using.

As to ease of use - the CL5 now works a lot more like how the ILive works than the M7.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »

Hi.
I really like having plenty of faders to work with, especially if you don't have super "pro" level engineers on your team (my crew is a mix)..... I believe (could be wrong on this) that Dante is going to be changing/upgrading everything to AVB at some point, which is a new open standard, so potentially it would integrate well with other AVB stuff?

My advice to you- don't do any personal monitor system (IE- Aviom, Hearback, roland, pivoted), just get a second CL5 control surface to mix monitors on..... Way more flexible!

I never found the 28 faders on a T112 limiting in any way. It is all on how you map out your surface. Our volunteers as well have never had any issues with finding faders. After a couple minutes of instruction they know right where to find everything on the board. It is all one button push away...Knowing what to do with the faders is another story :P

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

I never found the 28 faders on a T112 limiting in any way. It is all on how you map out your surface. Our volunteers as well have never had any issues with finding faders. After a couple minutes of instruction they know right where to find everything on the board. It is all one button push away...Knowing what to do with the faders is another story :P

26 faders on a SC48 has not been limiting at all! Coming from a profile 33 faders I didn't even miss them. When I first made the jump To a real digital I was using profiles and pm5ds I had came from cascading multiple consoles where I had 80 faders. I know people love faders (I used to think I did) but once you spend a little time working with it. I truly feel less is more (when it comes to faders) at most churches. also I am actually way more efficient while having a fewer number of faders!!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Kyle Waters

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »

Sorry, not a Yamaha guy.  They have alot to prove with these new CL consoles, mainly the mic pre's.  I dont see anything the CL5 dose for twice the cost,that the T seris Ilive dosent do.  So what it has Dante built in, So what you get free software, So what you get more faders.  Dosent mean it should cost 45k.  We are still in analog world at our church, but ive used many a yamaha console.  Never have I been impressed with their sound.  Imo Ilive or the sc48 is the way to go.  Yamaha has some proving to do

reidwwall

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »

ya.... I guess I'm just not an iLive guy....
Played with the surface some and didn't like it.... to each his own I guess.....

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »

Hi.

I'd take an Aviom system over an IEM console anyday. At my church there wouldn't be a good spot to put a dedicated monitor mixing board, and of course we'd have to train another person to use it. Besides, with the rather small number of monitor mixes we have to do (about 8), the FOH guy can handle any monitor needs.

But with personal mixers like Avioms, the musicians can get exactly what they want without ever having to bug the FOH guy. I would LOVE that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:21:07 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »

I'd take an Aviom system over an IEM console anyday. At my church there wouldn't be a good spot to put a dedicated monitor mixing board, and of course we'd have to train another person to use it. Besides, with the rather small number of monitor mixes we have to do (about 8), the FOH guy can handle any monitor needs.

But with personal mixers like Avioms, the musicians can get exactly what they want without ever having to bug the FOH guy. I would LOVE that.

yeah, i was rethinking our system today and came to the same conclusion.  for a church of our size [1500], staffing another audio position is it's own significant difficulty.  and at this point my music team is completely accustomed to mixing their own IEMs.  of course, our monitor system is a good bit more flexible than an aviom, so...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

reidwwall

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

Funny how different musicians work....
We had an Aviom System in our 2nd Aud.... Band on Avioms, Singers on Ears mixed from FOH....
We put in a monitor console about a year ago and on the first day we used it everyone loved it so much....!
Plus I hate how much extra clutter the aviom systems create..... So messy looking....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.