ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Emporers New Clothes  (Read 13526 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: The Emporers New Clothes
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

I thought this was all settled some time ago.

I used to write a column called audio mythology (decades ago) and this is one of those myth like scenarios with more smoke than fire. Audio is ripe for these kinds of myths because people do not listen as accurately (scientifically controlled for confusing factors) as they think they are.

There may be a sliver of truth somewhere for some obscure application but this plate is kept spinning by merchants who profit from selling a solution to a non-problem.

As usual Caveat emptor, because the strong myths never die, they just sit around like spores until the conditions are right to resurface again for a new group of believers.  The myths I tried to debunk 30 years ago are still lurking around, kept alive by people with more dollars than sense.   

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

I'm sorry but given the "night and day" differences we know that the placebo effect is capable of making people swear by for things that turn out to not have any effect at all (often to little surprise to some) this testimony is hardly convincing...

I'm with you.

I'm in the camp of 'it makes no difference'.

However, the test i did (at the behest of the system tech) did make a _difference_, but didn't make it better or worse, just different. Now, judging by the posted results of the SFL test, what may have been heard was an increase in jitter, but again, it was different (read carefully: not better, not improved, just different).

My point was mainly to illustrate the fact that most people have an opinion, without performing any testing.

I am fully aware of the placebo effect, the only reason i ruled it out here was because there were 2 engineers listening during the switch that weren't aware of the testing being done, and they commented on a difference, So much less likely to have an influence there.

Anyway, its interesting stuff, but i certainly advocate the point of view that there is no improvement to be had, and that if you want to improve things, you need better converters...
Riedel Communications

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »

Clearly audible differences, should be clearly measurable too.

I make a point of not arguing with people about what they claim to hear.

This is just one of several "digital" myths that so far lack a smoking gun. This doesn't mean one isn't out there, but it is sure playing hard to find.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Peter Morris

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »

There is finally a response vis a vis the external clock vs internal clock that was done at SFL in England. It is on the Blue Room Forums, HERE.

The conclusions drawn in that test were that the external clock made no difference.

Mac

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:05:44 AM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.