ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?  (Read 14203 times)

Jeremy Johnston

Re: Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »

I read the Kindle version on my iPad. The book had a few strange formatting issues on the iPad, but it seemed to work well. I've read several books on the iPad and generally like them.

I didn't necessarily agree with everything Mr McCarthy had to say, but as far as the reading of the book on the iPad, I liked it.

Jeremy

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »

Thanks everyone for your help.  After I got to the USA I was able to download the Kindle trial.  I tried it on my iPad on on a 17" Mac Pro.  Even though I like the concept of eBooks, particularly as references, I went ahead and bought the paper copy.  Seems like a good book for the couch and a highlighter...

It would be nice, and reasonable, if publishers offered you the eBook for free, or for a modest additional price, when you buy a hardcopy book.  Most DVD's and CDs provide a way to rip to your computer,...
Mark McFarlane

Gustaf Kempe

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »

Thanks everyone for your help.  After I got to the USA I was able to download the Kindle trial.  I tried it on my iPad on on a 17" Mac Pro.  Even though I like the concept of eBooks, particularly as references, I went ahead and bought the paper copy.  Seems like a good book for the couch and a highlighter...

It would be nice, and reasonable, if publishers offered you the eBook for free, or for a modest additional price, when you buy a hardcopy book.  Most DVD's and CDs provide a way to rip to your computer,...
I agree! The book is also extremely heavy to read while lying in bed so I would realy like to have it as a pdf aswell.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »

I agree! The book is also extremely heavy to read while lying in bed so I would realy like to have it as a pdf aswell.

hey, yeah just finally pulled the trigger and bought the kindle version of this the other day. While it's great to be able to read it on the kindle device and have it so portable (great for the road), some of the diagrams and charts are a little hard to read on that wee black and white screen so it's also an advantage to have the kindle application on your PC/Mac/iPad and be able to see them large and in full colour when you need to.

k

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

Having struggled for a month to read this thing, I wanted to add that the writing style drives me nuts.  It's not too technical (20 years ago I could derive the acoustic wave equation on 3 pages of paper from a few simple laws), its all the extra 'stuff' in the text that makes the reading so slow.  I'd prefer a dryer reference book.  Still, the book is chocked full of great information, only the presentation style makes it painful for me to read, I keep saying to myself 'get to the point'.
Mark McFarlane

James A. Griffin

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »

I didn't necessarily agree with everything Mr McCarthy had to say, but as far as the reading of the book on the iPad, I liked it.

Where do you disagree with him?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob McCarthy

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:13:09 PM »

Thanks to all for the information here. Most of it about the electronic version is news to me. I have no control over how the electronic versions are formatted and they don't give me copies or even tell me when they come out or who is carrying them. I can only tell you that the original graphics are very high res and it was a fight of the ages to get them as big as possible in the print version. I redrew EVERY graphic probably 3x to try to outwit the formatting computer and get the max size I could. They are typically 1900x 1200 pixels. It would be my expectation that most of the graphics - the ones with data plots and/or charts would require a zoom function. The question is whether they take you to a hi-res pic or just zoom up the thumbnail. Hopefully it is the hi-res because otherwise the zoom is useless.
If it works right the graphics should look something like this one.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »

The question is whether they take you to a hi-res pic or just zoom up the thumbnail. Hopefully it is the hi-res because otherwise the zoom is useless.
If it works right the graphics should look something like this one.
Hi Bob, just bought the kindle version, and tried it out on my iPad.  Overall I'm very pleased, certainly is much lighter in weight, just can't get used to not having page numbers to refer to (it's an electronic book).  I checked out the graphic you posted, and can report that they are in the kindle book at a mid range resolution, not quite as high as the one you posted here, but still extremely readable.  Certainly not a thumbnail.  Definitely in colour and very zoomable.  Now I have something I can read on those long plane rides across the country!

So how do I get you to autograph my kindle version of your book??   :P

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Interesting thread particularly given my situation.  This might be a marketplace post and I'm sure the powers that be will make it know if so.  I have two copies of  the Bob McCarthy book, one still in an unopened Amazon carton.  I meant to have one for myself and one for the shop.  My copy has migrated into being the shop copy after all and hasn't been as hard to retrieve when needed as I thought it might be ( based on the other books in the shop library ).  Upshot being I have a spare, brand spanking new paper copy that I would trade for a Kindle copy.  Based on the prices on Amazon last week this should be a screaming good deal.  You buy me a Kindle copy and cover the cost of shipping the paper book and I send it to you. let me know if anyone is interested.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.