ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?  (Read 14201 times)

Mark McFarlane

Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »

Has anyone used the Kindle version of McCarthy's Sound Systems: Design and Optimization... 2nd Edition?  I am considering getting it for my iPad and MacBook with the Kindle reader.  I'm trying to make my life paperless

Also, anyone know the price. Amazon only tells me 'its not available at your location', but I'll be in the USA in a few days so I assume I can buy it there.  Also, there eis a landscape paperback edition for $260 and up from 8 sellers on Amazon. What's up with that?

Can't decide between the portrait print edition or the Kindle edition...

I'm 57 and my eyes aren't the greatest......
Mark McFarlane

Kevin Hoober

• Brandon, MS
Re: Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »

Has anyone used the Kindle version of McCarthy's Sound Systems: Design and Optimization... 2nd Edition?  I am considering getting it for my iPad and MacBook with the Kindle reader.  I'm trying to make my life paperless

Also, anyone know the price. Amazon only tells me 'its not available at your location', but I'll be in the USA in a few days so I assume I can buy it there.  Also, there eis a landscape paperback edition for $260 and up from 8 sellers on Amazon. What's up with that?

Can't decide between the portrait print edition or the Kindle edition...

I'm 57 and my eyes aren't the greatest......

I have it in paper back, so cannot comment on the Kindle edition's readability....but I can tell you that the 2009 edition for Kindle is $57.06 on Amazon right now.

Kevin H.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »

I have both editions in paperback.  Landscape is the first edition, portrait is the second edition.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Bob McCarthy's book on Kindle ?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »

I have the kindle version. It wasn't a great choice because my Kindle is black and white so the diagrams and pics look terrible. I just wanted as a portable reference though, so in that way it's handy. I dunno if there's a color Kindle or a color ebook version?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »

The portrait edition is the latest one.  The few previews I've seen online are in color, perhaps readable in pdf form?  I would love to hear from others who have a digital edition of the book, as the paper edition too heavy to carry around everywhere I go.  I have both the landscape and portrait editions, one of them signed by Bob.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:45:18 PM by Arthur Skudra »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

I have the kindle version. It wasn't a great choice because my Kindle is black and white so the diagrams and pics look terrible. I just wanted as a portable reference though, so in that way it's handy. I dunno if there's a color Kindle or a color ebook version?

The Kindle app for iPad is color. I have 2 copies of the landscape paperback, one I bought, one I won in a drawing.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »

Mark, I have the Kindle App on my droid phone.  I downloaded the sample of Bob's book to try the legibility and color stuff.

My only complaint is that the app does not allow me to zoom in on the graphic content.  The color graphics are in color.

If anyone is using the Kindle App on a larger tablet device or with the color Kindle, I, too, would like to know how the graphics are handled.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »

The Kindle app for iPad is color. I have 2 copies of the landscape paperback, one I bought, one I won in a drawing.

Mac

Mac, I understand the Kindle app for iPad supports color, but have you seen McCarthy's book in color on a Kindle Fire or iPad?  What was the experience like?
Mark McFarlane

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »

Mark, I have the Kindle App on my droid phone.  I downloaded the sample of Bob's book to try the legibility and color stuff.

My only complaint is that the app does not allow me to zoom in on the graphic content.  The color graphics are in color.

If anyone is using the Kindle App on a larger tablet device or with the color Kindle, I, too, would like to know how the graphics are handled.
Mac, I understand the Kindle app for iPad supports color, but have you seen McCarthy's book in color on a Kindle Fire or iPad?  What was the experience like?

I just looked at the sample from the Kindle store. The graphics and photos are in color, and you can pinch zoom on both. When you zoom on a graphic it takes over the screen and you have to close the zoomed graphic to retun to the text.

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »

I just looked at the sample from the Kindle store. The graphics and photos are in color, and you can pinch zoom on both. When you zoom on a graphic it takes over the screen and you have to close the zoomed graphic to retun to the text.

Mac

Thanks Mac, your effort was far above and beyond...
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.