ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to install new sound system at church  (Read 4404 times)

Greg Coggin

Need to install new sound system at church
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

Hello,
Our church needs a new sound system. We are currently using a 10 year old Roland VM7200. What I love most about the Roland is that the processors stay up by the stage so we have no need for a snake up to the sound booth. Because of this we have no issues with noise from long cables. Unfortunately the Roland is on its last leg and I have to replace it.

I have been researching sound systems and I was suprised to see that there aren't very many out there like the Roland made up of processor/mixer components. All the mixers I like would require a snake between 150 and 200 feet to be installed in the ceiling which is 30 feet in the air.

My questions are:
1. Can a snake that long really be quiet.
2. What characteristics do I need to look for when choosing a snake to install.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Greg

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Need to install new sound system at church
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Hello,
Our church needs a new sound system. We are currently using a 10 year old Roland VM7200. What I love most about the Roland is that the processors stay up by the stage so we have no need for a snake up to the sound booth. Because of this we have no issues with noise from long cables. Unfortunately the Roland is on its last leg and I have to replace it.

I have been researching sound systems and I was suprised to see that there aren't very many out there like the Roland made up of processor/mixer components. All the mixers I like would require a snake between 150 and 200 feet to be installed in the ceiling which is 30 feet in the air.

My questions are:

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Greg

Greg,
Most of the major digital console manufacturers offer remote stage boxes. If you change your display name like the rules say and the mods will tell you to shortly, you'll get more help.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »

Hello,
Our church needs a new sound system.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »

Yes analog snakes "that long" (which is not very long for a balanced signal) can be quiet.

There are all sorts of various digital consoles with digital snakes available now.

I would start with stating what your budget is-what it needs to cover (just a console and snake?) you mentioned a new sound system in the subject line.

Then state how many channels you need-and any other special information you may need-in order to get the best responses.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »

Hello,

My questions are:
The VM-7200 is the processor and I/O box used singly or in multiples with the VM-C7100 or VM-C7200 work surface, so the mixer is a system of multiple pieces.  But what do you mean that the VM-7200 is on its last legs?  What problems are you encountering?  Are you sure they are mixer related?  Have you had the mixer serviced?

In terms of potential replacements, as Ivan noted, what are your requirements?  How many of what type of inputs and outputs, how many mix buses of what types, what types of effects and processing, etc.?  You mentioned "All the mixers I like...", but what are those?  And what is your budget?

As far as an analog snake, I agree with Ivan that it could be quiet, provided you use the right cable and installed it properly.  And since you mentioned running it above the ceiling, part of that may involve the cabling path available, the infrastructure available and whether accessing and running above the ceiling involves riser or plenum conditions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.