ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a better horn lens Peavey CH5 or EV HP64?  (Read 5007 times)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
What is a better horn lens Peavey CH5 or EV HP64?
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:22:02 am »

I am thinking of building a set of boxes based on some boxes, parts and drivers sitting on the shelf. I have to chose from peavey ch 5 and ev hp64 lens and I have peavey 44T and ev DH1a drivers.
 Im leaning toward the EV drivers but not sure which horn to go with.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: What is a better horn lens Peavey CH5 or EV HP64?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:38 am »

I am thinking of building a set of boxes based on some boxes, parts and drivers sitting on the shelf. I have to chose from peavey ch 5 and ev hp64 lens and I have peavey 44T and ev DH1a drivers.
 Im leaning toward the EV drivers but not sure which horn to go with.
The Peavey horn has 80 X 40 degree dispersion
The EV horn has a 60 X 40 degree dispersion
What kind of coverage do you want in your design?  Why not put the horn
you need to give the coverage you want in your cabs?
Can you experiment with your design?  Build your boxes and place the horn
on top of the cab with the driver mounted to the Peavey and then try the driver mounted to the EV and see what works best for you.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

on top of the cab with the driver mounted to the Peavey and then try the driver mounted to the EV and see what works best for you.
The wider coverage is probably better.
 I wonder if the dh1a is actually better then the 44t, It is a 4in VC in the 44t vs a 3in in the dh1a....
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

The wider coverage is probably better.
 I wonder if the dh1a is actually better then the 44t, It is a 4in VC in the 44t vs a 3in in the dh1a....

While he doesn't evaluate the Peavey 44T, Art Welter has a thread about HF drivers:  http://soundforums.net/varsity/4329-high-frequency-compression-driver-evaluation.html

The DH1A fared very well.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:22:00 am »

While he doesn't evaluate the Peavey 44T, Art Welter has a thread about HF drivers:  http://soundforums.net/varsity/4329-high-frequency-compression-driver-evaluation.html

The DH1A fared very well.
Thanks, that was a hell of long read but well worth the time invested.
 I

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:14 am »

Thanks Stu, I took did just as you suggested, I mounted a DH1a to the ch5 and another to the HP64 and I hooked everything up with the horn sitting in place temporarily and first I fired up the ch5. Sounded pretty good, with the passive xover out of the DTH2 cab the ch5 came from. Next I swapped the ch5/dh1a for the HP64/Dh1a and I kept all else the same (passive xover test program ect..) when I fired up the hp64, it was breathtaking!
 What a difference the horn lens makes. Dispersion angle aside, the on axis sound quality of the hp64 was incredible.
 I have made my choice. I wonder how the fact that the throat couple joint of the ch5 is not a good seam plays on the sound quality??? I am sure it has an effect.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:14 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.