Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Dangerous AC situation in reception hall - PLEASE READ

<< < (2/44) > >>

Samuel Rees:
Glad no one was hurt. What would be the perfect storm for that to happen, someone being hurt by this I mean?Touching a rack rail while grounded?

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote from: Tim Perry on May 03, 2012, 01:25:07 AM ---A $3 tester from most any hardware store may save your life... if you use it every time.  The one outlet you fail to check may get you.

--- End quote ---
Tim,

One thing that those testers DON'T show you is whether or not the ground and neutral are swapped.  A multimeter or, better yet. visual inspection will yield an answer, though.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on May 03, 2012, 12:36:40 AM ---John,

It sounds like there was a hot/ground swap in one of the outlets you used. 

--- End quote ---
I have seen that happen in a couple of cases.  Mostly in Churches-where htey have used "free" help.  Everything may worki fine for years-AS LONG AS nothing common is tieing the outlets together-like a sound system.

My old house actally had 1 whole floor with the hot/neutral swapped.  I lived there for 10yrs and never realized it.  And my shop was on that floor.  It wasn't until I went to sell the house and the buyer home inspecter pointed out the problem.

I took a cheap tester with me to all the new houses I was looking at.

Bob Leonard:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on May 03, 2012, 01:43:18 AM ---Tim,

One thing that those testers DON'T show you is whether or not the ground and neutral are swapped.  A multimeter or, better yet. visual inspection will yield an answer, though.

--- End quote ---

In a 120v single phase circuit 20 amp circuit the ground and the neutral should tie back to the same point. Ground.

Tim Perry:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on May 03, 2012, 01:43:18 AM ---Tim,

--- End quote ---

A lot of places I go would get upset if i disassembled their outlets for visual inspection and even just checking that the colors were right wouldn't guarantee a misswire elsewhere in the circuit.

The cheep checker is easy to use by anyone. Just remember: 'If you see red, you could be dead'   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version