Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Dangerous AC situation in reception hall - PLEASE READ

<< < (3/44) > >>

John Roberts {JR}:
Yes a miswired outlet. that's the kind of fault that has killed musicians since the product can still work, but it's "safe" outer chassis metal is now a dangerous shock hazard.

JR

Samuel Rees:
I realize this isn't my thread but this is a safety issue I could encounter and I'm not following, so that's got to be bad..,

What points of contact would your hands need to get in this situation to get hurt? In this case do we suspect hot/ground or neutral/ground to be switched? Which one can the tester identify and is that the dangerous one?

Jay Barracato:

--- Quote from: Tim Perry on May 03, 2012, 09:59:41 AM ---
even just checking that the colors were right wouldn't guarantee a misswire elsewhere in the circuit.

--- End quote ---
+1

And given that motors are far less critical of these swaps, and since most outlets in bars/ballrooms probably see more vacuum cleaner type equipment than anything else, a miswire could be affecting a whole string of outlets that nobody knows if they are on the same circuit or not.

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Samuel Rees on May 03, 2012, 10:23:33 AM ---I realize this isn't my thread but this is a safety issue I could encounter and I'm not following, so that's got to be bad..,

What points of contact would your hands need to get in this situation to get hurt? In this case do we suspect hot/ground or neutral/ground to be switched? Which one can the tester identify and is that the dangerous one?

--- End quote ---

The old advice to keep one hand in your pocket has some merit.  For modest voltages it matters what path the current takes inside your body.  I recall one muso who was killed by 120V flowing from one hand to the other, through his body core.

Of course being sweaty lowers your skin resistance so makes you a better conductor.

be careful...

JR

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jay Barracato on May 03, 2012, 11:30:09 AM ---+1

And given that motors are far less critical of these swaps, and since most outlets in bars/ballrooms probably see more vacuum cleaner type equipment than anything else, a miswire could be affecting a whole string of outlets that nobody knows if they are on the same circuit or not.

--- End quote ---

Our state's Fair Association holds their annual meeting and showcase in a Holiday Inn ballroom.  At the back of the room there is a 20 amp Edison outlet.  I was there as a hired gun for FOH mixing so I didn't pay much attention to the Lampies, but they blew 3 follow spot lamps before I put a meter on that outlet.  Found it wired for 208v.  Apparently it was for either a floor cleaning machine or food service equipment.

It's best to NEVER assume that an outlet is wire correctly or that it has the correct voltage for your use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version