ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open AC Ground Problem  (Read 16368 times)

Canute J. Chiverton

Re: Open AC Ground Problem
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »

Correct.... The Furman is a spike/noise clamp unit, definitely NOT a GFCI, and it will do nothing to prevent electric shock if powered from an ungrounded outlet.

No, if it did it would list that as a feature and require a reset button for the GFCI.  It looks like a simple voltage spike clamp.

JR
  I do thank you chaps for the information. My life is more important to me than the Gig even if it is over $1K.  If things don't get fixed before I perform I am willing to walk away.  My Agent may not be too happy about it but I will. I do not want to be blamed for any mishaps.  I sure do appreciate the knowledge.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

GFCI offers different protection than ground.  If you touch a hot wire and then a properly grounded connection, you'll get a shock.  If you do the same thing with a GFCI circuit, it will see that the path is not going through the neutral line and trip. If you didn't have GFCI, the ground connection in that fault scenario makes it MORE dangerous.

As promised, here's my article on how GFCI's work. It's a clever device - that can save your life (hey, that's pretty good rap, I think). http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//no_shock_zone_understanding_and_preventing_electrical_damage_and_worse/

Stan Sakamoto

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 02:38:39 AM »

You arrive at a venue to do a gig only to find that the Circuit Outlet designated for your use has an Open Ground.  There is no other place nearby where you can plug in or run an Extension Cord.  There is no qualified personnel present to remedy the situation.  What course of action do you take?

I had the same problem working as an audio engineer overseas in Europe and Japan. To be prepared for open ground problems I made plugs with the hot and neutral prongs missing with only the ground pin intact. Then connected the plugs to a long 10 gauge wire in each end, only with a ground prong. I would then connect the first end in the power strip that's connected to the outlet with the open ground and the other end to a circuit that has a good ground on the same circuit. Because there's no prongs for the hot and neutral the only thing that's connected to the circuit is the ground. By doing this it's a emergency fix for an outlet with the open ground. It is very important to make sure to use a circuit on the same phase to avoid ground loops. I would also take it a step further and wire up some plugs with the hot and neutral reversed in case I had a problem with reverse polarity.
I also had a grounding cable reel with a grounding rod at every job site.

Hope this helps you, good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 02:38:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.