ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to measure the frequency response of a vocal mic?  (Read 4330 times)

John Penkala

How to measure the frequency response of a vocal mic?
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

I am seeking advice on how to measure the frequency response of a vocal mic. In this case the mic is an Audix OM7. I read an old case study where an omni measurement mic (reference) and the vocal mic (measurment ) were used. The mic capsules were placed next to one another on axis to a speaker that had pink noise running through it. Is doing a TF measurement this way proper?

JP

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: How to measure the frequency response of a vocal mic?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »

I am seeking advice on how to measure the frequency response of a vocal mic. In this case the mic is an Audix OM7. I read an old case study where an omni measurement mic (reference) and the vocal mic (measurment ) were used. The mic capsules were placed next to one another on axis to a speaker that had pink noise running through it. Is doing a TF measurement this way proper?

JP

Yes.  This should provide a very close representation of the frequency response of the compared microphone. The more accurate (flat) your reference microphone is, the better.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Paul Tucci

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »

JP

JP,

A Transfer Function is a difference measurement. The two probes, Reference and Measurement might be before and after a piece of gear that causes time or frequency changes. (ie, delay or EQ) They can also be two probes measuring the same signal as is your case. That's valid. I would physically arrange the mics so that arrival times are synchronous, so that the Reference needs no time offset for a good measurement.
What the Transfer will not take into account is the proximity effect of the mic, if applicable.

Tucc

Uwe Riemer

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:20:51 AM »

JP

IMO for high frequencies the result will become unvalid, because the two mics will "see" each other
the measurement mic response will be disturbed more by reflections coming from  the OM7 than the other way round

To avoid this problem good old single channel FFT shines, where you do first reference measurement without the DUT and then put the DUT in exact the same place

oops another problem

Uwe

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:20:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.