ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX918SP SPL comparisons  (Read 14702 times)

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
Re: VRX918SP SPL comparisons
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:26 AM »

Just a quick thought, have you checked out the new Yamaha DSR118? Pretty much the same size as the others your considering.
yes I have taken a look at it digitally - but I have yet to hear it or even see it in person. Doesn't seem to be many solid reviews of it yet.

Even still - I can't really see it outclassing the VRX or even KW.

chuck clark

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »

Great sub but i would go for two subs rather than just one.... headroom is key :)

+1 What Mr. Talbot said.  Relax. Are you EVER going to fly these? You more likely ARE going to roll them in and out of almost EVERY gig. The sound difference between these in not big. In fact it is questionable if the casual observer would notice the difference.  Both are high quality drivers w/ a good trade off of efficiency and extension and perform well. Kind of a chevy vs. ford comparison which some will get worked up over but not really all that much difference in performance. Having 2 instead of 1 will make a much bigger difference. Feel better? Remember to have fun. Go with your gut.
Chuck

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »

I own 2 VRX918sp and have done an A/B with the HPR181 and the KW181.  The main 2 things I have noticed is that both QSC clip before the VRX.  I had to turn the QSC down and I was still able to keep feeding the VRX more.  I do like the fact that the KW cost less b/c I want to invest in more VRX but I can almost get 3 KW for the price I'm getting 2 VRX (price including covers, poles, & wheels).  The thing I find interesting is that on paper you would think the QSC are louder however I have not noticed that the 2 times I was able to A/B them.  Every single time I use my VRX someone compliments on how hard they hit and how clean they sound.  I plan to get 2 more but I want a total of 8 since JBL recommends 8 for gigs of 1000.  Biggest drawback I see to doing 8 is that most places I go to don't have the power that I would require to run the 8 along with the EV ZXa5. 

BTW when I did the A/B I used 4 ZXa5 with 4 HPR181 at one event then 4 ZXa5 with 4 KW181 at another.  At both I had the VRX setup just so I could do the A/B test.   

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »

Thank you for your comparisons.

Ive been using my VRX for a while now and really enjoy it. I use HPR181s and KW181s from time to time as well, and though I have never compared them directly, it does seem to me like generally the VRX can just handle more output, in addition to playing lower.

I'm looking to pick up a second in the near future.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

You'll be happier in the long run with the VRX subs IMHO.  They're a slightly more professional sub and most likely have a little better components inside.  I believe, like others have said, the VRX will provide better performance because of this.  Nothing wrong with the QSC product, but the JBL will edge it out.  If you have the funds, I'd say go ahead and get 2 VRX and enjoy.
Greg H.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »

About to pull the plug and purchase 2 more this summer for a total of 4 :-)

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »

Every single time I use my VRX someone compliments on how hard they hit and how clean they sound.
Do you have any external processing for them, or are you just going straight Line In on the subs?  What tweaks (delay, EQ, etc.), if any, have you found beneficial to the using the subs as part of your rig?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

Do you have any external processing for them, or are you just going straight Line In on the subs?  What tweaks (delay, EQ, etc.), if any, have you found beneficial to the using the subs as part of your rig?

for most of my applications setup time is pretty much minimal so it is used more as a plug and play system.  If I'm renting the system out to another DJ then I use my Mackie ProFX 8 so I can have control of the ultimate volume but other than that I don't use any processing.  Once I get all 4 and another set of tops I plan to add the DBX Driverack to it and set settings for the venues I go to the most.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.