ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need to power my rig?  (Read 3966 times)

Darcy Chubbs

What do I need to power my rig?
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »

Hey folks, how's it goin' you guys?

I'm looking for some guidance from you folks today.

I own a pair of Carvin LM12 tops and a single LS1801 subwoofer
and I am looking for an amplifier/amplifiers to power them, as well as a crossover.

The Carvin LM12 tops are rated at Power: 300W Cont. / 600W Program / 1200W Peak at 8 ohms
and the Carvin LS1801 subwoofer is rated at Power: 500W Cont. / 1000W Program / 1500W Peak.

If any of you good folks could help me out, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks guys!

Darcy

chuck clark

Re: What do I need to power my rig?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

I've had excellent results running QSC Plx 3402's for mid/hi boxes and Crest CC series on subs. You should run amps that deliver between the program and peak rated watts for the speaker at the speakers rated nominal impedance. That gets full performance out of them without constantly blowing them up. Good luck!
Chuck

Darcy Chubbs

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

thank you very much chuck, looks like some nice amps there. a friend of mine had an old qsc amp powering the stereo at his bar and another friend used crest ca 4 & ca 9 amps to run his bi amp system-a pair of bid old EV MTS cabinets I believe. Im just curious, what would your thought be with regards to a crossover? thanks again

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

Depends upon your level of expertise and existing gear. If you have no other processing gear and you have a reasonable knowledge of how audio works a used/new DBX DRPA would be a worthwhile investment. If you have very little experience a simple DBX crossover would be your best choice.
Any of the big names (QSC, Crown, Crest, Peavey) would be fine. You can choose between lightweight or heavyweight with any of them, but it might be wise to see what's available in your $$ range and then check back here for the various opinions you will get.
Amps are like cars, once you get past the obvious specs, you will find a variety of haters/lovers out there for any brand you choose.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: What do I need to power my rig?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »

Amps are like cars, once you get past the obvious specs, you will find a variety of haters/lovers out there for any brand you choose.

I like that statement.

We should trot it out for the weekly powered speaker question which seems to have replaced the drum mic as the most repeated topic that just goes in circles.
Jay Barracato

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Re: What do I need to power my rig?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Darcy, Ive never had an issue with it since I run amps with all the same fan direction - but I have read by those who know that you dont want to mix amps like Crown and QSC/CREST in the same rack. "Crown amps suck and QSC/CREST amps blow" is the old saying...

With different brand amps, you want all of them to push exhaust air in the same direction, either all out the front, or all out the rear of the rack.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »

What is your budget? 

Thinking lower budget and to simplify your needs my first thought is to go with a single QSC GX7 power amp for both the the tops and the sub woofer utilizing the built in 100hz crossover. This gives your sub woofer 725watts and each LM12 500w.

Otherwise, The LM12 can be used with many amps in the 300 to 600 watt range such as the QSC GX3, QSC GX5, RMX 1850 stereo, RMX2450 stereo. 

The LS1801 needs an amp that can do around 1000w at 8 ohm if only one sub such as a QSC RMX1450 bridged (800w) or a QSC RMX 1850HD bridged (1100w).

And any analog crossover will meet your needs. I would recommend a DBX 223 model crossover.

Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.