ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passively splitting DMX  (Read 8392 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Passively splitting DMX
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »

What's the rule of thumb about doing this? I'm thinking about putting together some LED 4 bars with power and signal run through the bar. Would it be OK to take a DMX in and split it among four fixtures and a DMX out? What would be the issues if say, I had four of these bars built like this?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Chris Buford

• SR Forums
  • Richmond, VA
    • My Website
Re: Passively splitting DMX
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »

What's the rule of thumb about doing this? I'm thinking about putting together some LED 4 bars with power and signal run through the bar. Would it be OK to take a DMX in and split it among four fixtures and a DMX out? What would be the issues if say, I had four of these bars built like this?

From what I understand, passive splitting is a big no-no.

What you need to do is daisy chain the DMX through each of the fixtures. You can still have and in and an out at the end of the bar.

Don't think of DMX signal like power runs. Think of it as one straight signal from your controller through every fixture to your last fixture (provided you're not using real DMX splitters)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »

Passive splitting is a no-no. Your two choices are either routing your cables so you daisy-chain, which seems like could still probably be done with cables inside the bar, or an active DMX splitter, which aren't expensive, and come in form factors that can be clamped to truss.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »

Passive splitting is a no-no. Your two choices are either routing your cables so you daisy-chain, which seems like could still probably be done with cables inside the bar, or an active DMX splitter, which aren't expensive, and come in form factors that can be clamped to truss.

My thought was to use an opto splitter for branches, but having the 4 bars internally wired with passive splits. It's a total no-no? Even with proper  termination?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »

My thought was to use an opto splitter for branches, but having the 4 bars internally wired with passive splits. It's a total no-no? Even with proper  termination?
Why can't you just do this - pull the cable from the last fixture back through your pipe to your "out"?  What am I missing?

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »

Why can't you just do this - pull the cable from the last fixture back through your pipe to your "out"?  What am I missing?
it's less cable (although more connectors) to wire it in series like it should be

wiring dmx in parallel increases dmx reflections a lot, and the more passive splits you throw into the mix the worse the problems get. termination will generally not help this problem.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.