ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best inexpensive DI box for Keys/Synth  (Read 22464 times)

Brian Kilpatrick

Best inexpensive DI box for Keys/Synth
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

Hey Guys, any suggestions? Active or Passive? by inexpensive, i mean less than $60. Thanks! We have 3, sometimes more keys at a time, are the 4/8 channel Berringer rack DIs any good?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Best inexpensive DI box for Keys/Synth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »

Hey Guys, any suggestions? Active or Passive? by inexpensive, i mean less than $60. Thanks! We have 3, sometimes more keys at a time, are the 4/8 channel Berringer rack DIs any good?

The only thing I would use a B Di for is as a door prop during loadin.

For keyboards, I usually go passive.

I have developed a two step process for DI's
1. Buy radials
2. Don't worry

If you are truely budget minded, I would look for the ProD2 which works out to be about $75 a channel MAPP. JDI is about $150 per channel MAPP.

I personally think the main connection between your instrument and the sound system is worth that.
Jay Barracato

Evan Hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

EWI makes good budget DI boxes from what I hear. Im planning on adding several to my own inventory soon.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/DI_Boxes.shtml
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »

I'm a convert to active DIs for most applications. Type 85s are great and I hear the Radial stuff is really good. I just tried a BSS active and it sounds nice with a bit of zing to the top end and a roundness to the lows in contrast to the solid flatness of the Type 85. I just got a pair of Rapco ADB+8 DIs that sound pretty nice. They were used and right in your price range.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

I'm a convert to active DIs for most applications. Type 85s are great and I hear the Radial stuff is really good. I just tried a BSS active and it sounds nice with a bit of zing to the top end and a roundness to the lows in contrast to the solid flatness of the Type 85. I just got a pair of Rapco ADB+8 DIs that sound pretty nice. They were used and right in your price range.
Shop around and you'll find the DBX DB10 passive DI's in your price range. They are excellent pieces to boot.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »

Ill second the Audiopile EWI choices, I have the single active box that has performed well on everything from 12 strings to keys. I think its $50... Nope $55 now...

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/LDB-101/LDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »

I have 7 behringer DI 100 boxes - all work beautifully. That is probably the only product from that manufacturer that might hit the mark. I'm sure I'll be beat up in this thread for even mentioning it...

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »

When I first joined this board a dozen years ago, this very question was asked. I mentioned to the OP I had some cheap DIs that were OK.  Another guy then asked me if I would sing through a $50 mic.  I said no way, I always used good mics. He then asked me why anything else was less important than my voice. I had no response that could hold water. Now I only use Radials. I have a box of dead  Imps, and Behringers in my garage. My Radials were bought more than 10 years ago and not one has ever failed. I am sure the EWIs are fine DIs, but since the best aren't that much more in the big scheme of things, this was one place I could "buy once, cry once" and actually afford a piece of pro level gear that would last. Just saying...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »

Buy once, cry once.

Over time, I've replaced my Imps with 2 Radial JDI's and 1 Radial PRO DI2. They sound great and are built well.

Brian Larson

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

What's everyone's beef with IMPs? I've got a bunch that sound fine and take quite a beating. They are only like $40 and made by a respectable company.

I use Type 85s for the money channels but for everything else I'm happy with IMPs.

I picked up a Radial D2 last month and it arrived from the factory with one dead channel. Probably a fluke, but for what I consider a high-end DI I would expect better QC.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.