ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best inexpensive DI box for Keys/Synth  (Read 17875 times)

Greg Harwood

Re: Best inexpensive DI box for Keys/Synth
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:14 am »

I've used Type 85 on keys for many years and they sound great in that application.  Also use them on bass with great results as well.  Well built, sound great, not crazy expensive.
Greg H.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:59 am »

I could use some more DIs. I looked at EWI first, but their passive one looks a little flimsy. It actually says "light duty" switches on their website, and they poke out of the box just begging to be snapped off. The Active ones look better, heavy duty switches and recessed everything, but they still have plastic nuts on the 1/4" inputs. Everyone recommends them, but these things scare me off. Any thoughts on those aspects in particular? Is it the active, or the passive EWI that everyone likes so much?

I don't like a lot of switches on the platform light duty or rugged, Someone plays with them and you are a long way from the platform when you notice.  Also I have had the insides of the plastic nut 1/4 jacks get worn so they don't make good connection.  With the old fashioned  Switchcraft 11 you can get in there and bend them back.
Not to Code

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »

I've used Type 85 on keys for many years and they sound great in that application.  Also use them on bass with great results as well.  Well built, sound great, not crazy expensive.

+1
Heading out to a festival tomorrow with a Type 85, 2 JDIs and a J48.
I used to have Imps. Sold them. Never have regretted buying the Radials I have (ProDI, JDI, J48 and PCDI). Love em!
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 09:40:17 pm »

I use EB Tech's Hum Eliminator dual channel DI box. It's great for keyboard. Clean. Transparent. 2 channels for the price of 1. You never know what kind of power quality the venue has. In a decade of regional touring, I've encountered many different of noise issues that showed up on my keyboard channels. These noises are more prevalent on high-end keyboards with built-in AC/DC transformer. The sub-$1000 keyboards with wall-wart transformer (hence galvanic isolation) does not have this problem as often.

Since I got these EB Tech DI box, I have not had any noise yet.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 09:43:02 pm »

Hey Guys, any suggestions? Active or Passive? by inexpensive, i mean less than $60. Thanks! We have 3, sometimes more keys at a time, are the 4/8 channel Berringer rack DIs any good?

Don't use Behringer DI. My biggest complaints on this brand is their lack of noise filter. Most of the Behringer gear don't filter out facility AC noise.

EB Tech has 8-channel DI Rack. It's probably easier to set up than 4-8 separate DI boxes.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »

For an inexpensive quad active DI for keys I use the Rolls RDB104 Quad Active Direct Box.

At about $150   its 37.5 per channel.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 10:21:59 pm »

I have 7 behringer DI 100 boxes - all work beautifully. That is probably the only product from that manufacturer that might hit the mark. I'm sure I'll be beat up in this thread for even mentioning it...
I have 4. No issues and they are about 13 yrs old.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 10:29:30 pm »

I have 4. No issues and they are about 13 yrs old.

You're lucky.  We bought a dozen or so for a "C" stage gig we did a few years back.  Of them, only 5 now work.  Painted the broke units black and turned them into "monitor wedge angle adapters."
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:49 am »

I don't like a lot of switches on the platform light duty or rugged, Someone plays with them and you are a long way from the platform when you notice.  Also I have had the insides of the plastic nut 1/4 jacks get worn so they don't make good connection.  With the old fashioned  Switchcraft 11 you can get in there and bend them back.

Since no one else has mentioned it, that little link at the bottom of Frank's signature is a cost effective way of getting a low profile DI with a Jensen transformer.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:49 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.