ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New budget system  (Read 3120 times)

Jason Huntoon

New budget system
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:27 am »

Ok so learning from you guy I have found that my system is about as useless as nipples on a dude.  That said, this project I'm in is still finding its legs.  That is we don't have a ton of money.  We are a six person party band. 5 vocals, guitar, keys, bass and drums.  We don't really need bass through the rig and probably only the kick drum on the set going through.  Give me some bare bones systems that we can use that will keep a good mix with our vocals really sitting on top.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: New budget system
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:36:25 am »

Ok so learning from you guy I have found that my system is about as useless as nipples on a dude.  That said, this project I'm in is still finding its legs.  That is we don't have a ton of money.  We are a six person party band. 5 vocals, guitar, keys, bass and drums.  We don't really need bass through the rig and probably only the kick drum on the set going through.  Give me some bare bones systems that we can use that will keep a good mix with our vocals really sitting on top.

For most small rooms up to about 100 people I would be happy with a pair of QSC K10's or k12's and a Ksub.
Jay Barracato

Mark Gensman

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

A Yamaha MG 166 mixer, a QSC GX3 amp and two Peavey SP5 or Yamaha S115IV speakers on sticks. Those speakers show up all the time for under $400 a pair used and sound quite decent. Add a couple of monitors and you can run two mains and two monitors with the GX3..

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

Whatever you go with, don't bother putting bass, guitars or drums into the mixer. Use it for Vocals and keys. If you can get your keyboard player to get a keyboard amp or a powered monitor (used Mackie SRM450, QSC HPR122i) even better. Unless you want to also buy subs, don't bother putting the kick in the mix. It will also sap a lot of energy out of your speakers trying to do everything. Our band has played bars and pubs up to 100 people and they can hear the kick fine. Would it be better with a D6 and a sub? Sure, but I don't feel like spending a grand on a KW181 right now.

With just vocals and keys in the mix, as a band you learn to manage your stage volume level  to "self-mix." This will make it easy to use almost any mixer out there. Don't be seduced by 16 channel boards, subs, etc. if your budget doesn't allow it. G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) can easily be encouraged here on the boards.

The other issue is your bare bones system may be a powered Mackie Mixer, anothers could be a 01v96 with subs and tops. Let us know a budget that you consider bare bones.

Adam Pace

• Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:47 pm »

Whatever you go with, don't bother putting bass, guitars or drums into the mixer. Use it for Vocals and keys. If you can get your keyboard player to get a keyboard amp or a powered monitor (used Mackie SRM450, QSC HPR122i) even better. Unless you want to also buy subs, don't bother putting the kick in the mix. It will also sap a lot of energy out of your speakers trying to do everything. Our band has played bars and pubs up to 100 people and they can hear the kick fine. Would it be better with a D6 and a sub? Sure, but I don't feel like spending a grand on a KW181 right now.

With just vocals and keys in the mix, as a band you learn to manage your stage volume level  to "self-mix." This will make it easy to use almost any mixer out there. Don't be seduced by 16 channel boards, subs, etc. if your budget doesn't allow it. G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) can easily be encouraged here on the boards.

The other issue is your bare bones system may be a powered Mackie Mixer, anothers could be a 01v96 with subs and tops. Let us know a budget that you consider bare bones.

Ned makes a good point,... a really good point. To expand on that, what genre of music do you mostly play. Also, what venue types/sizes and audience sizes do you normally see? This will greatly aid in designing a system that is both budget friendly as well as adequate for your uses.

There's no such thing as TOO MUCH information.

Adam Pace

Adam Pace
Productions Manager

Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
6122 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38134

Phone: 901-761-0414
Fax: 901-257-7773
Email: apace@yarbroughsmusic.com

Jason Huntoon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »

Ned makes a good point,... a really good point. To expand on that, what genre of music do you mostly play. Also, what venue types/sizes and audience sizes do you normally see? This will greatly aid in designing a system that is both budget friendly as well as adequate for your uses.

There's no such thing as TOO MUCH information.

Adam Pace
We are a top 40 dance/party band.  What we did for our last show was run 2 amps and 2 sets of 15's.  One set for vocals alone and one for instruments.  It ended up working out really well (ass load of equipment though.)  We really need a powered sub though!! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.