ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey SP118 Help  (Read 24809 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Peavey SP118 Help
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

This is copied directly from the peavey spec sheet which can be found at http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/specs/116630_13591.pdf

So thats why I wondered if the 8ohm is actually a better choice.
Since so many of the other parameters are different-it seems all they have in common is the model number.  It is strange that the model number would be the same-for such different loudspeakers.

There is more than just X max.  That is just one parameter that gives an idea of what the performance may be.

If that is all there was-then why don't PA cabinets use home theatre type drivers?  Those drivers have some VERY IMPRESSIVE X Max.  And it is quite "interesting" to watch them move around.  Of course you gets lots of distortion with that large movement.

And remember that there is a tradeoff for low freq extension.  Generally it is loud or low.  What is more important.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Steines

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »

Since so many of the other parameters are different-it seems all they have in common is the model number.  It is strange that the model number would be the same-for such different loudspeakers.

There is more than just X max.  That is just one parameter that gives an idea of what the performance may be.

If that is all there was-then why don't PA cabinets use home theatre type drivers?  Those drivers have some VERY IMPRESSIVE X Max.  And it is quite "interesting" to watch them move around.  Of course you gets lots of distortion with that large movement.

And remember that there is a tradeoff for low freq extension.  Generally it is loud or low.  What is more important.

You just answered my question.  I would much rather have it be loud and be heard through the whole building then have it shake your shirt but only if your right in front of it!  The SP118x come in 4ohm or 8ohm and im guessing the driver is the difference, but they claim to be the same thing. thats why I was confused after reading the specs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 08:30:54 AM »

You just answered my question.  I would much rather have it be loud and be heard through the whole building then have it shake your shirt but only if your right in front of it!  The SP118x come in 4ohm or 8ohm and im guessing the driver is the difference, but they claim to be the same thing. thats why I was confused after reading the specs.
Sounds like a call to the manufacturer would be in order.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »

Even with what appears to be very different TS specs it is possible these two drivers would sound quite similar in the same box. And again IMO even 4.6mm xmax is a bit low for a PA sub(just 40hz response here not 15hz home theater rumble) that is supposed to handle 1000w, so if you're looking at buying other drivers I'd suggest the Lowrider 18. You would have to do some testing to see what the final system response would be with that driver/cabinet combo but the Lowrider also works well in 5-9cu/ft enclosures.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.