Yamaha DSR112
- 16 (35.6%)
QSC KW122
- 9 (20%)
Yamaha DXR12
- 6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered 12" box: what should I buy?  (Read 17934 times)

Paul Walters

Powered 12" box: what should I buy?
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on some powered 12" boxes to use as mains for smaller events or monitors for small and medium events. I'd like your opinions on them along with any relevant experience or warnings. I've done a good bit of reading on the options and haven't decided yet. My personal experience extends only to the Yamaha DSR112s and the QSC K12s. I love the QSCs, but they aren't wood and the KW is pricey.

I don't necessarily want the cheapest option. I'm planning on spending in the $800/box range, but if it turns out that there are $600 boxes that are just as good (2dbSPL peak differences are negligible) as the more expensive models, I'd go with them.

Rider friendly brand names aren't a huge deal because we have Nexo PS-15s for anyone that cares, but I would be happy if EV or JBL did come out on top.  8)

David Allred

Re: Powered 12" box: what should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »

I don't know if any of these fall into this category, but I have heard that some (depending on cooling schemes) don't hold up well as monitors, especially in hot or sunny situations. They tend to over-heat because they can't dissipate the heat efficiently enough.

David

Paul Walters

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »

I don't know if any of these fall into this category, but I have heard that some (depending on cooling schemes) don't hold up well as monitors, especially in hot or sunny situations. They tend to over-heat because they can't dissipate the heat efficiently enough.

David
This is where the K12's fan would be great. I'm liking the looks of the EV but I'm worried by the lack of the fan.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on some powered 12" boxes to use as mains for smaller events or monitors for small and medium events. I'd like your opinions on them along with any relevant experience or warnings. I've done a good bit of reading on the options and haven't decided yet. My personal experience extends only to the Yamaha DSR112s and the QSC K12s. I love the QSCs, but they aren't wood and the KW is pricey.

I don't necessarily want the cheapest option. I'm planning on spending in the $800/box range, but if it turns out that there are $600 boxes that are just as good (2dbSPL peak differences are negligible) as the more expensive models, I'd go with them.

Rider friendly brand names aren't a huge deal because we have Nexo PS-15s for anyone that cares, but I would be happy if EV or JBL did come out on top.  8)

I heard pretty much all of them, except KW122, which should be pretty similar to the older HPR122i which I have.

I would rate them in the following order:

KW
DSR
K
DXR
ELX (sounds great on playback, but not so with live source)
PRX

Guitar Center has most of these, so it's not hard to compare these.

I think RCF powered speakers shouldn't be excluded from consideration.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »

I know you mention you want 12" but what about a nice compact 15" that is in your price range, has a real wood cabinet and sounds better then anything you have listed?

A powered cab that most people overlook because it doesn't boast the highly inflated power specs. as the others listed is the EV SXa250.
Small cab for a 15", pretty light considering it's actually made of wood, and easily sounds better then anything you have listed.....of course my opinion.
Take a listen (if you can) and decide for yourself...
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=210
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:38:56 PM by Vinny DAgostino »

Paul Walters

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »

I heard pretty much all of them, except KW122, which should be pretty similar to the older HPR122i which I have.

KW
DSR
K
DXR
PRX

Please elaborate on the ELX. Also, what does RCF make, and is it in this price range? I don't know anything about them.
And why is the PRX on the bottom of the list? Any problems I should be aware of?

David Hoover

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »

Hey all,

The QSC speakers sound amazing, but I have not used them myself.  I've just heard many sets of them.  I've also used JBL EON 15" powered speakers.  Those things have taken serious abuse and still work.  They sound pretty good.  The QSC's sound better though.

Look into the KW series.  They don't cost much more and will give you better sound.

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50:47 AM »

Proel Neos 122A ? Very good sound, nice and small

Just listing alternatives :)

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »

Hi there,

I must say indeed the EV SXA250 is avery good sounding box, I am quite sure it will outlast 9endurance) all of the above mentioned speakers, i have some take ahit for 5 years now, very very good amp. module. unfortunately these have been discontinued.

The RCf ART-325A, will gice the KW-122 a run for the money, when used for live sound, the 2" exit from the ART325, will outshine the KW-122. Unfortunately these have lso been discontinued.
I am waiting to get the Yamaha DSR112 in the comming weeks, in order to compare it to: HPR-122i, RCf ARt322A, EV SXA250. JBl PRX612 & 615 and the FBt Maxx4A.
No one  tried the Peavey Impulse12D (with the ribbon tweeter) ?
Renard from Curacao

Ted Christensen

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

I'm suprised nobody had said the zx5 for powered wedge.  It has been a good wedge for drums and front wedges and work great on smaller gigs as mains. There's a little to much "thud".

They may be more than what your looking to spend but used they can be found around your price point. I would rather have more powered zx5 then unpowered.

Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Steve Garris

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »

KW
DSR
K
DXR
PRX

Wow - I was about to start a similar thread only looking at slightly larger 15" boxes, for monitors and main use over active subs. In reading reviews I thought the PRX would be at the top of the list in the $800 price range. You've got them dead last!

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »

Hey all,

I do not see them listed but Yorkville makes a great powered 12 NX55P. I have used mine for several years now and really like them a lot.  I would buy them again should anything happen to them. I have used the heck out of them.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »

Please elaborate on the ELX. Also, what does RCF make, and is it in this price range? I don't know anything about them.
And why is the PRX on the bottom of the list? Any problems I should be aware of?

Hello,

You may have to listen to the ELX yourself. I like the CD playback on ELX a lot. But when I hooked up a keyboard to it, it sounded a lot worse than the CD. You know professionally mastered tracks have a lot of treatments to make it sound good in average speakers. A live source such as a microphone or instrument, don't sound good on speakers that have a lot of unintended harmonic distortions.

As for PRX, it's not bad sounding, just not as good as others in your list, I feel. There are many much worse options that are not on your list. I've grown tired of the JBL sub-pro speakers' sounds. Their pro stuff is good. PRX just sounds a little on the thin side. Specifically, I feel that its compression driver is weak at its lower range, while its woofer is weak at its upper range. The 3-way PRX635 would've sound good if its midrange has the right efficiency, just my opinion. I've replaced too many JBL's cheaper compression driver to really consider it worthwhile, when there are fine choices like QSC.

RCF ART series 412A is in the same class as your list, 12" woofer, 1" exit compression driver.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/396055.html

In general, RCF uses better components than others in this so called mid-grade powered speaker category. I have not heard this model, but RCF should be worthy of consideration/trial based on their track record.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »

Actually another thought, if you are not fixated on having a 12", the QSC K-10 sounds just as much as a 12" as some in your list. The 10" woofer they picked is really nice, and I like it better than the K-12, so do many others here. It sounds really smooth and warm for vocal, and has quite a punch when DEEP processing is engaged.

A lot of these are subjective, so take it with a grain of salt.
Pristine Audio
www.pristine-audio.com

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »

Wow - I was about to start a similar thread only looking at slightly larger 15" boxes, for monitors and main use over active subs. In reading reviews I thought the PRX would be at the top of the list in the $800 price range. You've got them dead last!

for 15"s  try the Turbosound Milan. Heard them in action and was quite impressed... they don't seem to make a 12 but they have a 10"

Eric Parc

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

KW
DSR
K
DXR
PRX

I heard all of the speakers below, and I would rate them in the following order:

DXR (especially 15" model is the best I have ever heard among portable PA active speakers)
DSR (it gets a little bit harsh at high volume. Once the high is tamed down with a mixer, it sounds great.)
PRX (good power to weight ratio)
KW
K (runs out of gas quickly compared to the models above)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
EON (sucks big time. It's a lightweight champion though...)
SRM (out of the game)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yamaha NEXO DSR and DXR can just hold up well at really high volume. Just crank them up and you will hear differences with all models in the same league!! :)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber