ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best small board for small club sound reinforcement?  (Read 9886 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: What is the best small board for small club sound reinforcement?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »

Thank you all for chiming in. Looks like everybody in the forum likes the A&H Mix wiz. Based on John C's suggestion, I checked out the Mackie Onyx. This looks like a very flexible board with lots of features, and slightly out of the band's price range. Also, Michael S says you can get 4 pre-fader aux sends from the Yamaha CUSB, but I don't see how. It looks like that 4th send is only for post fader. Unless the"C" model is different than the "CUSB" model. That Soundcraft looks even more flexible and cost about $100- more. Looks like that has everything I need. If I can get the band to spring for it.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the road case to protect your investment and make sure the show'll go on when you get there and set up.  A nice, clean used MixWiz with a good road case is what I'd recommend....... ;)

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,137168.0.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:26:28 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Gensman

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:32 am »

I bought a good clean used Mixwiz with a tilting mixer case off my local Craigslist for $450 and it has served me well for a couple of years now. I also have a Yamaha MG206C (non USB) that I carry as a spare.

The Yamaha sounded just fine, but I like the EQ on the A & H board better. I did like having sub groups on the Yamaha and the individual channel compressors worked better than I would have thought..

However, the Mizwizard has more aux sends and on board effects plus much better EQ, although I wish Allen & Heath would have made a simple on/off footswitch for effects instead of their proprietary control system.

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:48 am »

Ah, the MG206C can only do 3 pre-fader AUX sends.  Still, it's in budget for new.

Dave Jarrell

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:42 am »

Are you going to need eq's for the additional monitor mixes?  If you do, that's going to be an additional expense.  My suggestion would be to look for a used Yamaha o1v.......you will be able to do 4 monitor mixes plus it has two built in efx.  I've seen them used in your price range quite often.

Paul Shahinian

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

Are you going to need eq's for the additional monitor mixes?  If you do, that's going to be an additional expense.  My suggestion would be to look for a used Yamaha o1v.......you will be able to do 4 monitor mixes plus it has two built in efx.  I've seen them used in your price range quite often.
I'm leary of going digital. There's something simple and nice about analog boards. Not that I've ever used a digital board, but being over 50 (closer to 60) I'm afraid of how long the learning curve will be on the digital board.
PaulS

Steve Garris

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the road case to protect your investment and make sure the show'll go on when you get there and set up.  A nice, clean used MixWiz with a good road case is what I'd recommend....... ;)

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,137168.0.html

Here is the case I purchased for my Mixwiz3. This was the best deal I could find and it is excellent. It arrived at my house 3 days after ordering.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Mixer_Cases/MXC-12L/MXC-12L_cutsheet.shtml

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:19 pm »

Here is the case I purchased for my Mixwiz3. This was the best deal I could find and it is excellent. It arrived at my house 3 days after ordering.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Mixer_Cases/MXC-12L/MXC-12L_cutsheet.shtml

I just bought the same one, I am downsizing from a rolling rack with a flip top. I am just about completely in EWI cases now, and they have effectively stood up to traveling in the back of my truck or the hatchback of the car.

I may be the only one doing shows out of the back of a Yaris, but I just bought a third M40 case for carrying cables, etc. 3 M40's are a perfect Yaris pack.
Jay Barracato

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

3 M40's are a perfect Yaris pack.

LOL, that should go on the website.

fwiw, I have done gigs out of my wife's VW Golf TDi. Have to lay the seats down, but you can't beat the mpg!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

George Dougherty

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 12:25:38 am »

I'm leary of going digital. There's something simple and nice about analog boards. Not that I've ever used a digital board, but being over 50 (closer to 60) I'm afraid of how long the learning curve will be on the digital board.
The 01v is reasonably easy to get around on.  Auxes are all on faders and the EQ is significantly more powerful.  For basic mix functionality it's not complex and you don't have to touch the paged menu setup.  You'll start using pages and the arrows/scroll wheel when you want to adjust the dynamics but you don't have to hit those as often.  The master EQ on the Mains and auxes is enough to do some feedback notching and tone shaping where necessary.  I owned and used one for smaller gigs for a few years until I went bigger digital. 
The bigger question on the 01v is whether you can live with just 12 channels of preamp.  There are 2 stereo channels with line inputs that could be utilized for keys or modeling pedal board outputs if you needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 12:25:38 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 25 queries.