ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best small board for small club sound reinforcement?  (Read 9898 times)

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
Re: What is the best small board for small club sound reinforcement?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:20 pm »

Yet another +1 on the Mixwiz.  Due to the consistent layout it is just very easy to use, and nothing too unusual from channel to channel.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:07 pm »

I must add another 1+ on a used Mix Wiz.

I use a Mix Wiz WZ3 16:2 on a regular basis for my smaller bar gigs. It can do 4 monitor mixes out of the box. I have mine reconfigured with internal jumpers so aux 1-4 are always pre fader, aux 5 is switchable pre/post, and aux 6 is always post fader. Some bands I work with need 5 mixes when using Ears.

The last two generations of mix wiz have built in FX as well if needed.

Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Independent Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX323, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, Yorkville LS2100P, JTR Growler, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Yamaha M7CL-48, Soundcraft Si Exp 3, Si Compact 24, Behringer X32, Mackie DL1608

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:16 pm »

I'd take anything with 4 mid sweeps over my Ymaha MG32.  That extra mid sweep is worth sacrificing for.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:38 pm »

Mix Wiz all the way.

The Mackie won't do 6 auxes all at the same time. You really have 4 auxes on that board.

If you are running your PA in mono, then you CAN get subgroups on the mixwiz. Use the left for group 1 and the right for group 2. Send the mono out to your PA.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »

A mix Wiz is a logical choice. They're basic, easy to use and have decent sound. However, I would rather spend about the same money on a used Mackie ONYX 1640. 16 channels, 4 bus, 6 aux, and a much better EQ on the channel strip than the lesser Mackie models. Sound quality is equal to or better than the Mixwiz, and the feature set is well above the Mixwiz. Reliability is as good or better also.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Chiara

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:26:35 pm »

A mix Wiz is a logical choice. They're basic, easy to use and have decent sound. However, I would rather spend about the same money on a used Mackie ONYX 1640. 16 channels, 4 bus, 6 aux, and a much better EQ on the channel strip than the lesser Mackie models. Sound quality is equal to or better than the Mixwiz, and the feature set is well above the Mixwiz. Reliability is as good or better also.

I agree. I for one have had a bunch of Mixwiz failures as of late and no Mackie failures. Plus the Onyx has the FireWire option that may serve you in the future.

Steve Garris

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:00:50 pm »

I just purchased a clean, just serviced Mixwiz3 for $600. I couldn't be happier.
When shopping, I was also looking at the Mackie ONYX 1640, but the used Mixwiz came up on a local Craigslist sale. As Tim said, if you're running a mono system you will have 2 subgroups; left and right.
The built in reverb is actually usable. There are even separate sends that put the reverb in the moniters if desired.

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:04:06 pm »

Our church has a MixWiz in the youth/kids venue - it's excellent. good EQ, plenty of auxes, useable reverb and echo. Built well too, unlike tons on the other 16 channel stuff which is built cheap and nasty. Best 16 channel desk I've used.

Keith Humphrey

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »

Another for the MixWiz 16:2. I use mine regularly with Aux 1-4 pre-fader for monitors, Aux 5 for  effects and Aux 6 for subs. I have found the built in effects more than adequate for the typical bar venues I play and like not having to drag another piece of gear around. All in all it is hard to beat in the small format analog mixer market. 

Keith     

Paul Shahinian

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:06 pm »

+1 on MixWiz, especially in your budget. Learn to live without the sub-groups.
Thank you all for chiming in. Looks like everybody in the forum likes the A&H Mix wiz. Based on John C's suggestion, I checked out the Mackie Onyx. This looks like a very flexible board with lots of features, and slightly out of the band's price range. Also, Michael S says you can get 4 pre-fader aux sends from the Yamaha CUSB, but I don't see how. It looks like that 4th send is only for post fader. Unless the"C" model is different than the "CUSB" model. That Soundcraft looks even more flexible and cost about $100- more. Looks like that has everything I need. If I can get the band to spring for it.
PaulS

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:06 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 25 queries.