ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stabilizing Taller truss totems  (Read 13815 times)

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
Stabilizing Taller truss totems
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

I need to buy or build a stable base for taller truss totems. I have 30" and 36" square aluminum bases made for the Global 12" square truss. These are very stable at 8'-10' heights with a few fixtures on them. I need to build 13' tall totems that will have some more weight up top. Besides weighting the bases and tethering the tops what can be done to stabilize them? I'm wondering if anyone has built larger bases or a wider frame that I could bolt to 30" bases down to. The picture is an 8' totem. I want to take it higher and add a small mover on top. Thanks any suggestions.

John Strzalkowski

Re: Stabilizing Taller truss totems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »

Global Truss makes a 3'x3' Steel Base for that exact purpose. I used to put a 50lb mover on top and take it to 3.5M (~11.5ft) and it was sturdy.

The base is super heavy, and a pain to move, but besides putting a bunch of sandbags on the base, this may be your only option.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:40:27 AM »

This 220 lb speaker column is mounted atop the 90 lb. Global steel base. They are very stable, about 13 feet high.

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »

Sounds like I could just bolt the aluminum bases on top of a steel plate to add weight. Is there anything wider like a 48" base? I think the width adds stability too. Thanks guys.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »

Hi,

Have you thought about tethering the top to a "secure" attachment point directly over the center of the stand?

Or go higher and attach the truss to a secure point at the ceiling.

I am not suggesting that the truss be attached to a "T-Bar" ceiling.

Regards,  John

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »

This particular job is in a hotel ballroom with chandeliers and low soffit ect. Nothing we can attach a tether to. I have used airwall hangers to create an anchor point for tethering these things elsewhere.

NEW IDEA... I'm going to bolt the 30" aluminum bases to 48" square 3/16" thick steel plates that weigh about 100#. The added width and weight should make them sturdy enough for this purpose. They can be separated later so the aluminum bases can be used as is. I'll post a photo when it's installed.

thx.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »

This particular job is in a hotel ballroom with chandeliers and low soffit ect. Nothing we can attach a tether to. I have used airwall hangers to create an anchor point for tethering these things elsewhere.

NEW IDEA... I'm going to bolt the 30" aluminum bases to 48" square 3/16" thick steel plates that weigh about 100#. The added width and weight should make them sturdy enough for this purpose. They can be separated later so the aluminum bases can be used as is. I'll post a photo when it's installed.

thx.

It is pretty standard to use 36" bases with 15' truss towers. Usually they get piled up with a bunch of sandbags which will be easier to handle than large steel plates. Larger bases will give more tip resistance than additional weight, but they are ungainly. Have you thought about some kind of outriggers instead? They won't weigh as much, while providing the bigger base.

Mac

John Strzalkowski

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »

I agree with unwieldy and huge base plates being a pain in the back to move around. Trying to get them through back rooms in hotels, kitchens, and all sorts of tight spots REALLY sucks. Also, our 3x3 Steel bases do not fit through a standard door on its face, so if you have them on a dolly or cart, you have to go sideways......or carry it.

I use 3x3 Steel bases all the time, I hate everything to do with the things..... but I do use them.

I am interested in outriggers. I have not seen (to be honest I haven't really looked) any type of outrigger that would attach to a piece of truss.

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »

We use 3x3 steel bases frequently and they suck to move around, but are quite stable at 10'+ with some sand bags/stage weights/etc
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »

I was thinking 36" X 36" x 3/4" steel plate until I read this:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel-plates-weight-d_1561.html

Regards,  John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.