ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shocked at the Apple store.  (Read 7534 times)

Al Rettich

Shocked at the Apple store.
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »

Went today to inquire about a new MBP. Looking at the 13" 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 8GB SDRAM. Not recording directly to the internal HD so a 5400RPM drive was fine. Gave the specs to a Apple guy and he said this wouldn't work. PT10 had to have a i7 chip to work properly. Wanted to ask my fellow audio mates their thoughts.. Will a i5 chip not work?

Thomas Lamb

Re: Shocked at the Apple store.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »

Went today to inquire about a new MBP. Looking at the 13" 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 8GB SDRAM. Not recording directly to the internal HD so a 5400RPM drive was fine. Gave the specs to a Apple guy and he said this wouldn't work. PT10 had to have a i7 chip to work properly. Wanted to ask my fellow audio mates their thoughts.. Will a i5 chip not work?

I run PT10 on a i5 and a i7 laptop both. ITworks on the i5 wether it is in spec or not im not sure the specs are very vague. http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/support
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »

He is simply put, wrong.  It will run it fine and has enough power to get a lot done in pt.

I run PT10 on a i5 and a i7 laptop both. ITworks on the i5 wether it is in spec or not im not sure the specs are very vague. http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/support

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »

Gave the specs to a Apple guy and he said this wouldn't work.

Did he ask if you wanted fries with that?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Al Rettich

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

Thomas... How much RAM are you running?

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

Thomas... How much RAM are you running?
Both machines are stock so I'm pretty sure my i5 is 2 gigs and the i7 is 4. You can never have too much ram though.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »

According to the Avid ProTools requirements page the computers for PT10 and PT9 are the same, just the system software requirements are different. The i5 seems to be listed as OK:

Randall Hyde

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »

As Apple is about to release a new flock of machines, I'd wait a month or so on this purchase.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »

On a similar subject, I just purchased a new Macbook Pro 15 i7, 4  gig RAM for recording live shows.
Do you need a 7200 drive for recording or will a 5400 work and will USB 2 be fast enough?
A bit new at this end of things....
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »

On a similar subject, I just purchased a new Macbook Pro 15 i7, 4  gig RAM for recording live shows.
Do you need a 7200 drive for recording or will a 5400 work and will USB 2 be fast enough?
A bit new at this end of things....
USB2 will give you a maxium 30MB/s. If you know the disired bit- and samplerate you can calculate the channel count.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.