ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropped Monitor  (Read 2862 times)

Robert Lunceford

Dropped Monitor
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »

I have a pair of FBT Verve8MA speakers that use the B&C 8CXT Coaxial 8" Driver.
I had them stacked on end (staged for transport) and the speaker on top got knocked to the floor which was about a 14" fall. When the speaker hit the floor it made a very strange metallic sound.
I tested the speaker and the low end was gone. I pulled the driver and tested the woofer on it's own. It plays but it sounds like a midrange speaker, no low end.
I have already replaced the damaged driver but do you think it is possible and worthwhile to try and have the driver repaired?

Thanks,
Robert

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Re: Dropped Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

Sounds like the magnet shifted (or snapped). See if the cone on the LF driver moves freely at all. If not, can not be fixed. Had this happen to some PV speakers in Versarray cabinets, it pinches the voice coil and can not move to produce the low end.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

Sounds like the magnet shifted (or snapped). See if the cone on the LF driver moves freely at all. If not, can not be fixed. Had this happen to some PV speakers in Versarray cabinets, it pinches the voice coil and can not move to produce the low end.

Thanks John,
The cone on the LF driver is locked up. This is what I expected but wasn't sure if this type of damage could be repaired.
A friend of mine has the Radian MicroWedges and he had one fall from the tailgate of his van with similar results. He said when the cabinet hit the ground it stopped, but the magnet kept going and sheared off.

Thanks,
Robert

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.