ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smooth fading LED wash  (Read 5940 times)

Noah D Mitchell

Smooth fading LED wash
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a lower-end LED fixture that can do smooth color fading.

For perspective, I'm currently using chauvet color-palette. I'm happy with the output and coverage (it works for our stage).

My only complaint is the (very) jumpy fades. That's from black to color or from color to color.

Any recommendations?

James Feenstra

Re: Smooth fading LED wash
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »

what budget range?
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Ric Arnold

• Melbourne, Vic, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »

The desk /  controller you're using can have affect this as well.
What are you driving them with?

Most LED devices are only 8 bit (256 levels) and have stepping issues especially at low levels or intensity.

Cheers,
Ric
Cheers,
Ric
Live Theatre, Lighting, & Sound
Melbourne, Australia

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »

Hello all,

For perspective, I'm currently using chauvet color-palette. I'm happy with the output and coverage (it works for our stage).

My only complaint is the (very) jumpy fades. That's from black to color or from color to color.

Any recommendations?
The Chauvet SlimPar Pro series have built-in dimming curves that smooth out dimming.  It actually works. There are 4 settings: off, dim1, dim2, dim3.  With the fixtures set to "off", they are steppy.  Changing to Dim1 makes them smooth nicely, at the expense of dimming a little slower. 

Even that can be mitigated by driving the lights in 10 channel mode, which allows you to choose the dimming curve on the fly.  For times when you want the fade to be smooth you can use dim1.  For other times when you want to strobe the fixtures, you can use "off".

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »

As a general rule my experiences have seemed to indicate that the higher-wattage fixtures (those using 1-watt or larger LEDs) seem to dim smoother than the smaller-LED-based units. The controller definitely has an effect as well, so there is no absolute solution (except probably more $$$).
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Hello all,

Any recommendations?

I do pretty much the same thing with the colorpalletes. You need to read the manual better. Preset 27 (I think, could be 24) does exactly what you want. There is also a speed adjustment. No console needed.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »

I do pretty much the same thing with the colorpalletes. You need to read the manual better. Preset 27 (I think, could be 24) does exactly what you want. There is also a speed adjustment. No console needed.

I checked over the weekend. It's preset 23. Then go the the "P" menu and select a higher number for slower fade times. Make sure the sound trigger knob is all the way off, so it won't react to the music.

Voila, slow color fades.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »

I checked over the weekend. It's preset 23. Then go the the "P" menu and select a higher number for slower fade times. Make sure the sound trigger knob is all the way off, so it won't react to the music.

Voila, slow color fades.

One more thing, if you connect them with some DMX cable they will all sync up and show the same color. The first one in the chain is the master.

If you are only using 2-6 fixtures, you would probably be fine with plain mic cable as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.