ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey SP118 Help  (Read 24908 times)

Mike Steines

Re: Peavey SP118 Help
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

Hey guys, I cleaned that gray crap off the coil with the "crop circle" and cleaned the gap out on the mag. Tried it out last night at a gig and it did pretty well, still couldnt push a lot of power to it with out it popping though. The other one I threw in the trash and ordered a new basket. Should be here this week.  Im going to compair the 2 and if the new one works ALOT better then the one I still have, Im going to buy another basket.  I have 2 amps and im not sure which I should run them off of.  I want to get the most out of them but not smoke them haha.  I have a Mackie FR2500 and an AB International 1100A.  Any input??

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »

I have 2 amps and im not sure which I should run them off of.  I want to get the most out of them but not smoke them haha.  I have a Mackie FR2500 and an AB International 1100A.  Any input??

If, as Mike C notes above, you're using a bass exciter, I'd err on the side of caution and use no more than the continuous rated power of the system - so if it's rated 1200W Program, use a 600W per channel (@ the nominal impedance of the speakers) amp.
Also make sure you're using a High Pass Filter in your signal chain before the amp, set to just below the -3dB point of the speakers* to minimise the amount of LF content lower than what the speakers can handle reaching them.

* Or whatever the manufacturer recommends if you can source that.

HTH,
David.

Mike Steines

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »

Okay I bought a replacement basket and now have another question. Are these supposed to be 4ohm? The crossovers say 4ohm but according to the manual from the replacement the 8ohm has a better xmax and is the best choice for subwoofers. So why the 4ohm in these cabs??

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »

Okay I bought a replacement basket and now have another question. Are these supposed to be 4ohm? The crossovers say 4ohm but according to the manual from the replacement the 8ohm has a better xmax and is the best choice for subwoofers. So why the 4ohm in these cabs??
Did you replace what you already had, or did you have your Peavey dealer order the part number specified by Peavey Service?

Regardless, cabinet tuning will affect impedance as "seen" by the amplifier.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Steines

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »

Did you replace what you already had, or did you have your Peavey dealer order the part number specified by Peavey Service?

Regardless, cabinet tuning will affect impedance as "seen" by the amplifier.

I bought the replacement that the peavey dealer said was in the cab. (1808-4 sps bwx) 4ohm.  BUT the manual that it came with says that the better the XMAX the better the driver is for a subwoofer.  And according to the manual, the XMAX for the 8ohm (1808-8 sps bwx) is 3 times the amount of the 4ohm. So why would they use the 4ohm instead of the 8ohm when they are the same power and same price??

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »

the manual that it came with says that the better the XMAX the better the driver is for a subwoofer.
Yes that's right.

And according to the manual, the XMAX for the 8ohm (1808-8 sps bwx) is 3 times the amount of the 4ohm.
No it's only about 2x.. 4.6mm vs 2.0mm.. which is significant but it's still only half of what an 800w driver needs to operate effectively as a subwoofer.

So why would they use the 4ohm instead of the 8ohm
Amplifiers produce more power into a 4ohm load so a smaller(cheaper) amp can be utilized, this is an entry level product after all.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:24:38 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

I bought the replacement that the peavey dealer said was in the cab. (1808-4 sps bwx) 4ohm.  BUT the manual that it came with says that the better the XMAX the better the driver is for a subwoofer.  And according to the manual, the XMAX for the 8ohm (1808-8 sps bwx) is 3 times the amount of the 4ohm. So why would they use the 4ohm instead of the 8ohm when they are the same power and same price??

I'm guessing that the 4 ohm VC exhibits ~8 ohm impedance when the speaker is in the cab.  If that's the case, an 8 ohm VC would exhibit around 16 ohm impedance.  See where this is going?

I'm not buying 3x the Xmax, either.  That doesn't make sense for 2 versions of the same speaker.  I suspect the manual writer was discussion in more general terms, what makes for a better subwoofer compared to what makes a good LF transducer.

Either way, the speaker and cab go together.  Why they made a particular decision is a question of Peavey, not us.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Steines

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »

Yes that's right.
 No it's only about 2x.. 4.6mm vs 2.0mm.. which is significant but it's still only half of what an 800w driver needs to operate effectively as a subwoofer.
 Amplifiers produce more power into a 4ohm load so a smaller(cheaper) amp can be utilized, this is an entry level product after all.

But at the same time, 4ohm makes it so you cant bridge. Brings it down to 2 ohm. Either way, The SP118X Comes in 8ohm or 4ohm versions, and im just curious if the 8ohm actually is a better speaker due to the XMAX. They are the same price tho so I dont see why it would be..

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

But at the same time, 4ohm makes it so you cant bridge. Brings it down to 2 ohm. Either way, The SP118X Comes in 8ohm or 4ohm versions, and im just curious if the 8ohm actually is a better speaker due to the XMAX. They are the same price tho so I dont see why it would be..
It is entirely possible that the X max is simply a misprint.  There is no reason why the X max would be different for the same driver with a different impedance.

HOWEVER it is also possible that some confusion of terms has happened.

Maybe one is X max and the other is X Mech.  Could be somebody either misread or misunderstood the differences.

Or there may be a real difference.  But a difference in Xmax (especially that much) should mean a different model number-because that big a difference would be quite a bit different.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Steines

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »

It is entirely possible that the X max is simply a misprint.  There is no reason why the X max would be different for the same driver with a different impedance.

HOWEVER it is also possible that some confusion of terms has happened.

Maybe one is X max and the other is X Mech.  Could be somebody either misread or misunderstood the differences.

Or there may be a real difference.  But a difference in Xmax (especially that much) should mean a different model number-because that big a difference would be quite a bit different.

This is copied directly from the peavey spec sheet which can be found at http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/specs/116630_13591.pdf

So thats why I wondered if the 8ohm is actually a better choice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.