ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Yamaha 01v question about the slot output  (Read 8330 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Old Yamaha 01v question about the slot output
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »

I'm thinking about picking up an older 01v for a church. I know the card slot can host four analog ins that are limited in scope, but what about the analog output card? If I got a MY4DA what could I assign to it? What if any limitations are placed on the expansion outs?

Thanks,
-=Tim=-
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Old Yamaha 01v question about the slot output
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »

Extra feeds for expansion rooms? (Though I don't know if there's a way to control them independently.)

Here's the cards you can use: http://proaudio.yamaha.co.jp/products/interfaces/ygdaicards_matching/myguide.php?model=3#checksheet

Here's the manual: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.exp.yamaha.com&asset_id=4146

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

You could likely route any insert, aux, or bus to the outputs.  I don't know about the 01V but the 01V96 are very flexible in routing.

monitors, delays, IEMs, hearing impaired setup,...

I don't know what the MY4DAs sell for but you can , for example, get 8 preamps in and 8 balanced outs and hook it up by ADAT if the 01V has ADAT I/O (the 01V9 has 1 ADAT in and out).

There are a range of such external preamp devices, the Behringer ADA8000 gets fairy good reviews here, 8 in and 8 out on ADAT for a little over $200.  The ADA8000 is a serviceable unit, I use one when I need more than 3 separate monitor feeds.  I've done some unscientific listening tests of the ADA8000 outputs against the 01V96 omni outs and felt 'maybe' the ADA8000 outs sounded a little worse than the 01V96, but they were so close that it could have been psychological.
Mark McFarlane

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

I'm thinking about picking up an older 01v for a church. I know the card slot can host four analog ins that are limited in scope, but what about the analog output card? If I got a MY4DA what could I assign to it? What if any limitations are placed on the expansion outs?

Thanks,
-=Tim=-

I'm not sure there are inserts on an original 01V, but you can assign any of the 8 busses to those extra outputs.  We use one of these with the 4 x XLR output card in a radio station news studio.  The extra outputs are used for mix-minus outputs, and just simple copies (like a distribution amp) of the main outputs.  Sometimes it's more convenient to have outputs on XLRs than TRS.  You might want to set up a separate recording mix with ambient mics that don't go to the main PA.

Incidentally, the 01V has turned out to be an excellent choice for very non-technical operators (reporters) in a radio station newsroom that I look after.  Other than the faders, there are a minimum of extra controls, and if they do screw something up, it's a simple matter to recall the one scene (protected, of course) that they need to get back to normal operation.  It's been in service 24/7 for almost two years now, without a hiccup.  I would think that it would do equally as well for a simple church setup that has non-skilled operators.

GTD

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »

You could likely route any insert, aux, or bus to the outputs.  I don't know about the 01V but the 01V96 are very flexible in routing.

I don't know what the MY4DAs sell for but you can , for example, get 8 preamps in and 8 balanced outs and hook it up by ADAT if the 01V has ADAT I/O (the 01V9 has 1 ADAT in and out).

There are a range of such external preamp devices, the Behringer ADA8000 gets fairy good reviews here, 8 in and 8 out on ADAT for a little over $200.  The ADA8000 is a serviceable unit, I use one when I need more than 3 separate monitor feeds.  I've done some unscientific listening tests of the ADA8000 outputs against the 01V96 omni outs and felt 'maybe' the ADA8000 outs sounded a little worse than the 01V96, but they were so close that it could have been psychological.

The original 01v does not have ADAT i/o built in.

For Weaver, IIRC the MY-4DA can be patched to any "output" that could be routed to the OMNI outs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:39:14 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »

The only limitation on the analog ins from the slot is that they are line level. There are no mic pres on the analog in cards. Other than that they are like any other input port. The analog output card contains patchable output ports that are like any other output port on the console.

It's nice having the XLRs, but I'd get the MY8-DA card and the DB25>MXLR snake and have 8 more output ports. Or an MY16-AT and a Behringer ADA8000 and have 8 more mic ins and 8 more line outs, and 8x8 ADAT left over for future expansion.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »

The only limitation on the analog ins from the slot is that they are line level. There are no mic pres on the analog in cards. Other than that they are like any other input port. The analog output card contains patchable output ports that are like any other output port on the console.

It's nice having the XLRs, but I'd get the MY8-DA card and the DB25>MXLR snake and have 8 more output ports. Or an MY16-AT and a Behringer ADA8000 and have 8 more mic ins and 8 more line outs, and 8x8 ADAT left over for future expansion.

Mac
Not exactly. I used these consoles ten years ago and the one thing I remember was that the optional inputs that were on the second layer wouldn't send to all the auxes and they had a dumbed-down EQ section. I remember this, because I wanted to use it for a band and I couldn't get all four monitor sends out of the second layer inputs.

I'm trying to figure out if there are any gotchas like this concerning the DA card.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »

Mark,

I own an 01v96. I have it expanded out to the full 32 channels and I use wireless control with it. That little console never ceases to amaze me with how flexible it can be.

Unfortunately the original 01v is a different beast. While it does a lot of cool things, it does have some weird DSP limitations. The option card slot is one of those things that it is weird about. It is no where near as useful.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »

Ok, I think I have my answer.

http://ems.music.utexas.edu/docs/01VE.pdf

Found the manual at the U of Texas' website. Why it's not on Yamaha's website is beyond me!

The outputs on the card slot can be patched in banks of 4. Meaning that it could be aux 1-4, or bus 1-4 but not aux 1, bus 3, aux 2, aux 4. You can't mix and match in other words.

This actually works out OK for me. I would be using the Busses to feed things like zones and record feeds. This leaves my omni outs available for 4 monitor mixes.

While 16 channels would suffice for this church it would be nice to get an 8x8 MY card so I have some room to grow, but those limited input channels still are a bear to get around.

Thanks all!

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

Tim - I have an original 01v as well.

The MY8-AT card would give you 8 I/O through ADAT, which may be a better use of the slot than just the 4 outputs and give you room to grow.

After selling my Alesis ADAT EQ, I realize now that I don't really need my MY8-AT card, so will be putting it in the Marketplace later this week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.