ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF TT22-A versus TT25-A  (Read 19079 times)

Mark McFarlane

RCF TT22-A versus TT25-A
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »

Anyone heard these side by side?

I'm guessing the 25-A's are too heavy (72lbs) to safely put on a stick which I typically need to do... (center subs)

On paper the 25-A's (53 lbs) put out a lot more SPL (136 versus 131).  Everyone seems to love the voicing on the 22-As but there is less info on the 25-A's. 

I can't seem to find anyone that has heard and doesn't like the TT22-A's.

Mark McFarlane

George Dougherty

Re: RCF TT22-A versus TT25-A
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »

I'm guessing the 25-A's are too heavy (72lbs) to safely put on a stick which I typically need to do... (center subs)

On paper the 25-A's (53 lbs) put out a lot more SPL (136 versus 131).  Everyone seems to love the voicing on the 22-As but there is less info on the 25-A's. 

I'd imagine it's a similar situation as other 12 vs 15 comparisons.  15 will go lower/louder but will narrow dispersion in the upper mids and not cross as smoothly as a 12" driver across the frequency range when you get off axis. In the same model range it seems like similar quality drivers are used, so the tone is likely similar except for differences in polar response.

I always thought of the differences as the 15 can handle full range content better without subs if necessary with the mentioned shortcomings, where a 12 does better in its range but is often best run with subs if you need to push them at all.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »

The TT22A only has a 750w power amp and the TT25A has a 1500w power amp.  I've also heard, that the 25 sells much better than the 22; its like a 8:1 ratio.

The TT25A's 72# box isn't bad to handle and lift; it felt very well balanced.  Some of the better speaker stands can handle up to 150 lbs.

Are you trying to upgrade/replace a speaker?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

... Are you trying to upgrade/replace a speaker?

Thanks Matt and George for your help.

My current mains-on-a-stick are Yorkville NX550Ps.  They'll be moved to monitor duty alongside pairs of SRM450s and Yamaha SM12Vs.

I also have some Mackie SR1530s that I'll probably sell, or maybe use as delays for larger outdoor events...

I've pretty much decided against the TT25-As.  Too heavy for my 57 year old body to put on sticks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:56:25 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Peter Morris

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

I think you are spot on – the TT22s voice better, but the TT25s with a 15” and twice as much power, go louder.  We have a bunch of the 22A’s and love them. They are a great general purpose 12 and horn – flyable, pole mount, with or without a sub, or wedge.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »

If you are limiting yourself to 'below 70#', this might be difficult task to accomplish with a powered speaker.

Have you looked at the dB Technologies DVX gear?
The main can be utilized as a monitor if needing to do so; D12 is 50# & D15 is 55#.
There monitor can become a main, put it puts the power/signal connections on top; DM12 is 38.5# & DM15 is 46#.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Peter Morris

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:17:30 AM »

If you are limiting yourself to 'below 70#', this might be difficult task to accomplish with a powered speaker.

Have you looked at the dB Technologies DVX gear?
The main can be utilized as a monitor if needing to do so; D12 is 50# & D15 is 55#.
There monitor can become a main, put it puts the power/signal connections on top; DM12 is 38.5# & DM15 is 46#.

FWIW the DB technologies DVX range is excellent but it is not quite as good as the RCF TT range.  Both use similar RCF speakers and horns, however as you would expect; the more expensive RCF uses slightly better components, better box construction and paint finish … and sounds better.  If price is an issue the DVX is certainly worth considering.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:13:49 AM »

FWIW the DB technologies DVX range is excellent but it is not quite as good as the RCF TT range.  Both use similar RCF speakers and horns, however as you would expect; the more expensive RCF uses slightly better components, better box construction and paint finish … and sounds better.  If price is an issue the DVX is certainly worth considering.

I've settled on the TT22-As.  Thanks everyone.
Mark McFarlane

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

Understand, but I was looking more at the Weight.

cliff truesdell

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »

I've settled on the TT22-As.  Thanks everyone.

Mark,
Have you decided on a sub yet?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »

Mark,
Have you decided on a sub yet?

The TT21-A's are ordered, the sub I am still struggling with.

Mark McFarlane

cliff truesdell

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:54:08 AM »

Cool. I'm just curious, kinda in a similar boat and struggling with subs too. I played with those tt22a's once, love them!

Peter Morris

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 08:54:12 AM »

The TT21-A's are ordered, the sub I am still struggling with.

I use the 4PRO 8003 with the TT22a.  I think they sound better than the TTS18 sub and they are little cheaper, but they don’t make as much SPL.
(note – if you use the 8003’s with TT22s  you may have to invert the polarity)

Jerry Laskin

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »

I use the 4PRO 8003 with the TT22a.  I think they sound better than the TTS18 sub and they are little cheaper, but they don’t make as much SPL.
(note – if you use the 8003’s with TT22s  you may have to invert the polarity)

What is the reason you feel the 4pro8003's sound better with the tt series?  I heard the tts18, they sounded great, but I've also heard from fellow djs that for some reason the 4pro may have a stronger punch on the dance floor.  Is that the case?  On the other hand, the TTS18-a has neodymium driver with Powersoft Amp which supposed to be a much better made product overall than the digipro amp built into the 4pro series.  Was wondering if the gentleman on this thread made his decision as to which sub to get for his tt22.  I'm having the same difficulty making this decision.  Would it matter the fact that you're using a slightly lower model sub powering the flagship tt series on top?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »

...Was wondering if the gentleman on this thread made his decision as to which sub to get for his tt22.  I'm having the same difficulty making this decision.  Would it matter the fact that you're using a slightly lower model sub powering the flagship tt series on top?

I ended up getting two RCF 905as subs.  Deciding factor was size, weight, and I got a very good deal.
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »

What is the reason you feel the 4pro8003's sound better with the tt series?  I heard the tts18, they sounded great, but I've also heard from fellow djs that for some reason the 4pro may have a stronger punch on the dance floor.  Is that the case?  On the other hand, the TTS18-a has neodymium driver with Powersoft Amp which supposed to be a much better made product overall than the digipro amp built into the 4pro series.  Was wondering if the gentleman on this thread made his decision as to which sub to get for his tt22.  I'm having the same difficulty making this decision.  Would it matter the fact that you're using a slightly lower model sub powering the flagship tt series on top?

Neither Mr. Morris nor Mr. McFarlane are DJs, and in McFarlane's part of the world, "dancing" is very different from what you're probably used to....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:47 PM »

Neither Mr. Morris nor Mr. McFarlane are DJs, and in McFarlane's part of the world, "dancing" is very different from what you're probably used to....

Yep, dancing is illegal where I live, unless it is a group of men, typically with canes or swords.  I think live music is forbidden. I've been shut down before by the 'religious police'.  Most events are in 'secure areas' to prevent such interruption.  Ads a bit to the excitement.
Mark McFarlane

Jerry Laskin

RCF TT22-A versus TT25-A
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:07:41 AM »

Wow, coming from a family of live musicians, my dad was a big band leader and mom a singer, I couldn't imagine a life without live music let alone working in a slightly different capacity as DJ and event planner as the best therapy for helping people smile and dance.  What brings such an audiophile and fellow entertainer to that part of the world?  Are you happy with the frequency response and sound coming out of the 905AS?  Thanks again for the feedback and good luck with your endeavors :)

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:08 AM »

The difference between the 8003 and TTS18 is simple.

The 8003 is a very nice sounding general-purpose reflex enclosure.  Its bass is quite punchy.  The TTS18 is a band-pass enclosure, and its sounds like a very good band pass enclosure  :). As a very rough guess you would need about one and a half 8003 to make as much bass as one TTS18. The 8003 is cheaper.

The decision to buy 8003 was based on the need for a good general-purpose powered sub that could be use for a variety of small applications.  One or two plus a mid high makes an excellent drum fill, TT22a + 8003 makes a nice bar band PA or  DJ set up.

DJs tend to prefer the TT25a with the 8003 because you get a bit more “thump”.   The TT22a are more articulate and better than the TT25 as a vocal fold-back wedge.

I don’t do a lot of DJ work.  There is a link to the last large DJ event we did. (Main stage - Adelaide SA)  I think we used a couple of 8003s and TT22s for the DJ fold-back….

http://www.inthemix.com.au/allabout/event/100/Godskitchen

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »

...  What brings such an audiophile and fellow entertainer to that part of the world?  Are you happy with the frequency response and sound coming out of the 905AS?  Thanks again for the feedback and good luck with your endeavors :)

For my day job I work as a geophysicist, trying to keep gas under $10  gallon. A geophysicist is a geologist that can balance their checkbook. The music scene is not too bad, its just seasonal and semi-private.  I do a fair amount of cultural exchange type events and I get to work with some international B- and C- level acts.  Medium sized fish in a small pond.  The expat lifestyle fits me well.  My kids were born in a jungle clinic in Sumatra.  No need for an alarm clock, we woke up every morning to the call of wild monkeys in our backyard, which was essentially virgin rainforest.

I have a post in the measurement forum on the response of the 905as's.  In general I'm happy.  They are a big step up from the Yorkville NS200S's I was using.  They don't go real low but they sound good. I'm waiting for the weather to get below 120F to try them out at an outdoor gig where I can really work em and tune them right.  From my original tests thy are a little 'peaky' around 70Hz but tamed easily by EQ.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.