ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Designer 1 not fading smoothly  (Read 1335 times)

Mark Ellis

Show Designer 1 not fading smoothly
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »

I'm trying to program some fades on two different led lights: Chauvet Colorado 1s and Blizzard RGBAWs. Both lights are having the same problem in that fading from one scene to another is not smooth. If adjusted by hand (on the faders) I can get a beautifully smooth fade.

To be more clear: I've set up all channels to be set to crossfade. Scene 1 is all off (all zeroes) scene 2 is all on (all 255). Both scenes are saved with a fade time of 2 seconds. Going from one to the other, the lights are "zippering (for lack of a better term) to their new settings. It's as though instead of sending data in increments of 1, the SD is sending in increments of 25 (I'm totally guessing here). So the dimmer goes from 255 to 230 to 205 and so on. Surely you guys aren't living with this, though. It looks terrible. What am I doing wrong???

Btw, tech support said that's just the way it is. On the other hand, he put me on hold to hook up an LED light to his SD1 to test my problem, and it's hard to believe that they've never faded an LED fixture before I called in today...

duane massey

Re: Show Designer 1 not fading smoothly
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:55 am »

Actually this is not unusual with almost any dmx controller. The fade is not proportional to the actual slider (different taper, I believe?). My "fix" has been to program several steps with decreasing/increasing values as a chase, and then adjust the speed/fade rates to get the effect I want. Using the "fade" function from the scene to scene has never really worked well for me, BUT I rarely have a need for it, so my experiences won't really help you there.
This may just be a weakness in the controller. I will play with one next week if I have some free time.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Show Designer 1 not fading smoothly
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:55 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.