ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad VGA interfaces and accessories  (Read 12100 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: iPad interfaces and accessories
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »

With this post, I'm not approaching it from a 'presenter with an iPad' situation.  I'm approaching it from toying with the idea of creating an iPad driven tech table with one on audio, one on video/ppt.
If you are looking at the iPads as user interfaces for other devices then that may be practical as there are many apps available to allow an iPad to control other devices.  If you are looking at iPads replacing mixers, monitors, switchers and computers, then that may not be as practical.

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
Re: iPad interfaces and accessories
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »

Bump...With a new iPad related question

If you are looking at the iPads as user interfaces for other devices then that may be practical as there are many apps available to allow an iPad to control other devices.  If you are looking at iPads replacing mixers, monitors, switchers and computers, then that may not be as practical.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: iPad VGA interfaces and accessories
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »

Modifying:
     I have been looking for a couple of days and I have yet to come across an iPad dock with a VGA output.  The Alesis iO Dock has a composite video out.  I'm just surprised that since there is the VGA adapter cable, there isn't a dock with one built in.  Or is there???
Thanks to Apple we now have the iPad, the iPad 2 and not the iPad 3, but rather "The new iPad" (and their other brother Darryl) and they do not all use the same docks, but all three seem to use the same Apple dock connector.  I would guess the issue is the cost of the dock and the variations on audio and video connectivity that are possible.  The Apple VGA adapter cable is the same cost as a dock, the HDMI and composite adapter cables are $10 more each.  That makes it seem quite likely that most users could purchase a dock and the one or two adapter cables they want or need for less than someone could offer a dock that includes all of the potential connectivity.

I have to say that I'm not sure I understand the concept of using a portable, personal device as a critical component in a installed professional presentation system.  They're simply not really intended for that type of application, which it turn seems to also exclude such use from warranty coverage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »

I have to say that I'm not sure I understand the concept of using a portable, personal device as a critical component in a installed professional presentation system.  They're simply not really intended for that type of application, which it turn seems to also exclude such use from warranty coverage.

+1

The feeding frenzy that Apple marketing creates gives the buyer/user a "Bose-like" mentality.  "It can't be that I'm misinformed, incompetent or the device simply doesn't do what I think it should."  It becomes the AV technician's fault that the user can't do what he thinks should be do-able.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »

Yes and no.  Apple got it right with the iPhone. Way better for most users for corporate email (you wanted to see attachments?) than Blackberry, and now look where RIM is/isn't.

Keynote on an iPad for 1 on 1 coffee table presentations is fantastic. Using an iPad to present from at a conference in front of hundreds of people? no thanks. replace my Macbook Pro with only an iPad? no thanks.

I've used the Keynote remote to run presentations when I don't want to be tied to my computer and would actually like to walk around while presenting. However, those are usually shows I've set up. Whenever we have AV support I'll take whatever clicker they have.

My pet peeves:
Keynote is a fantastic program in many ways: native HD support, doesn't cough playing back 1080P video files, and you can throw in PDFs, Illustrator Files, Layered Photoshop files and they show up beautifully.

Peeve #1 - There's no Export for iPad. This would be great to let us know that the fonts won't work (or need to be made into vector art), how a 720p aspect presentation is going to be messed up, which files won't play/show up. You'd think they'd want to make this a seamless integration between OSX and iOS app, but noooo.

Peeve #2 - Export for PowerPoint works - kind of. Keynote breaks all master file layouts on export, can't figure out that a smooth dissolve shouldn't export to a checkerboard 1980's transition.

I'm checking tonight to see if Keynote on iPhone/iPad works with AirPlay on an AppleTV to show the display screen, not mirror the presenter mode. If so, could be cool. If not, Peeve #3.

wish they'd actually work on this vs. relegating it to "we're working on it" status.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

I don't have any hands-on experience with it, but this is the first 'professional' grade interface I've seen.

http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-IAV4

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.