ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad VGA interfaces and accessories  (Read 12101 times)

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
iPad VGA interfaces and accessories
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »

Modifying:
     I have been looking for a couple of days and I have yet to come across an iPad dock with a VGA output.  The Alesis iO Dock has a composite video out.  I'm just surprised that since there is the VGA adapter cable, there isn't a dock with one built in.  Or is there???

------------------------
OK, I know that iPad interface discussions have been bouncing around but I thought of another issue with using iPads for presentations.  Has anyone used a wireless remote (Kensington, or Honeywell Power Presenter) with an iPad?

I'm evaluating my typical corporate A/V setups to see if I could utilize iPads for more than an expensive e-reader.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:36:55 PM by Luther Bell »
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: iPad interfaces and accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »

OK, I know that iPad interface discussions have been bouncing around but I thought of another issue with using iPads for presentations.  Has anyone used a wireless remote (Kensington, or Honeywell Power Presenter) with an iPad?

I'm evaluating my typical corporate A/V setups to see if I could utilize iPads for more than an expensive e-reader.

What are you trying to accomplish? The iPad is a touchscreen interface, how do you control that remotely?

Mac

Luther Bell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

What are you trying to accomplish? The iPad is a touchscreen interface, how do you control that remotely?

Mac

I'm wondering if it would be possible to run a Keynote presentation at a tech table with an iPad-VGA adapter and, using some type of dock or interface, hook up a presentation remote for a presenter to use on the stage.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

I'm wondering if it would be possible to run a Keynote presentation at a tech table with an iPad-VGA adapter and, using some type of dock or interface, hook up a presentation remote for a presenter to use on the stage.

When the presenter brings the changes down in the morning on a USB stick how do you load it quickly? A laptop is not that much bigger and will be much faster to type edits on and to send and receive from USB sticks, two things that happen to presentations a lot.

Turning the whole thing around and finding a wireless audio and video solution so a presenter could use his iPad onstage as the remote computer seems a lot more useful.

Mac

Luther Bell

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »

When the presenter brings the changes down in the morning on a USB stick how do you load it quickly? A laptop is not that much bigger and will be much faster to type edits on and to send and receive from USB sticks, two things that happen to presentations a lot.

Turning the whole thing around and finding a wireless audio and video solution so a presenter could use his iPad onstage as the remote computer seems a lot more useful.

Mac

Those are the same issues that I'm running into.  I don't have an iPad yet and haven't run into any of these situations, I just figured that I would start my homework early so I have a plan. 
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

There are several ways to use the iPad for presentations. I wouldn't expect to use a 'master' iPad for presentations, rather the presenter will have their own iPad which they have built their presentation on.

The iPad can connect wirelessly to a projector or display using Apple TV and a wifi network. The only caveat is the Apple TV must connect with HDMI, it looks for the HDCP compliance when you turn it on, regardless of whether or not you are using protected media. The workaround to this is an 'HDCP Stripper', which I've used with mixed results.

As for a wireless presenter, the iPhone or iPod touch can be used as a remote for the iPad by installing an app on the iPhone called Keynote Remote. This app works great and even allows the presenter to preview upcoming slides and view presentation notes on the iPhone.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »

I see no reason why the presenter can't just use their iPad to control the presentation, either by using it as a remote or as the host device for the actual presentation.

Needing a controller for the controller seems a bit…unnecessary.  It's like we're in the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

Most users I tolerate just want the newest gadget, won the thing at some function they attended, or have it forced on them by a higher-up to "help improve sales".  That does nothing to make them proficient in using it for building and operating presentations.  I have yet to meet an iPad user who instills confidence in the future of humanity as I know it.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »

I see no reason why the presenter can't just use their iPad to control the presentation, either by using it as a remote or as the host device for the actual presentation.
An importance difference in terms of presentations is whether it is an original iPad or an iPad2, as an iPad does not allow mirroring the internal display to an external output which makes it more awkward to use as a presentation source.

Most users I tolerate just want the newest gadget, won the thing at some function they attended, or have it forced on them by a higher-up to "help improve sales".  That does nothing to make them proficient in using it for building and operating presentations.  I have yet to meet an iPad user who instills confidence in the future of humanity as I know it.
I've been working on a University project that has been interesting in this respect as on the one side I have their own IT and Distance Learning staff using iPads and they understand and the technical issues, however many of their end users are more like those you describe and who saw a commercial where what was on the iPad was on a screen with no wires so they assume that's something anyone can walk into a room and do.

Probably the biggest issue I encounter is that people simply look at any signal coming in or out as being the same thing.  Ethernet, USB, video, audio, - they're  all just signals on a wire so they're all the same aren't they?  So if they can wirelessly get audio and video from web sites then they must be able to transmit audio and video wirelessly.  The difficult part is getting them to understand that their not being able to do what they think they can do or what they saw in an ad or commercial is not a matter of your competence but rather of their misunderstanding.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »

Needing a controller for the controller seems a bit…unnecessary.  It's like we're in the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

It's the Department of Redundancy Department.

Luther Bell

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:33 AM »

With this post, I'm not approaching it from a 'presenter with an iPad' situation.  I'm approaching it from toying with the idea of creating an iPad driven tech table with one on audio, one on video/ppt.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.