ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD for a Venue  (Read 10506 times)

Richard Thornton

Re: Hard Drive for a Venue
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »

I bought one of the last new (still in the box) SC48 a couple of years ago, and immediately max'd the memory and upgraded to an SSD.  The console boots much faster, and feels generally more "zippy" than before.  Plus, an SSD will be more resistant to trucking than an old-school mechanical HDD.  But, the SC48 motherboard already had a SATA connection to the original HDD, which I left in the console as an "in-place" backup. 

Fast-foward, and I've recently purchased a Profile and Mix Rack.  I've max'd the memory and installed an SSD - but it isn't working yet.  The Mix Rack motherboard had the HDD connected to the mobos IDE bus, even though the CD is connected via SATA, and, there is another SATA connection available on the mobo.  I've asked AVID tech support why, but haven't received and answer - likely because that product is not "officially" supported any more.  They should accept the reality that there will be a lot of re-purchasing and re-furbishing of Profile systems over the next couple of years, as previous owners who can afford to are moving up to S6L (or PM7  lol). 

I'm hoping someone (hello, AVID?) reads this and can help me figure out why the Restore CD will load the latest Venue software (3.1.1.286); but, when the system restarts I get a disc error, "please CNTRL-ALT-DEL".  I feel like it's something in the original formatting, but I don't understand why I can pull that drive and read it on any PC in the shop with one of the 44-pin IDE-to-USB adapter thingys.  The two partitions are there (system and user data), the proper folders are there, etc.  WTH?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber