ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a digital mixer to replace crossovers and speaker processing  (Read 17266 times)

Eric Christian

Re: Using a digital mixer to replace crossovers and speaker processing
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »

I don' use an EQ in one of the 4 slots, I use the 4-band parametrics that are already on every channel, aux, and bus.

The onboard HPF is fairly steep, but the manual doesn't say if it is -18 or -24db/oct.  Maybe I'll play around a bit in Smaart and figure it out.

Yes, I understand.  I'm not referring to the effect slots.   :)  When you use the HPF on the parametric eq on the master bus that leaves you with only 3 out of the 4 eq filter bands to work with for system tuning.  Maybe that's enough for you?  If you need more you can always route through another bus too and use the parametric eq there as well.  A dedicated speaker processor will give you many more individual input and output eq filters to work with if you need them.

I think the slope on the HPF filter for the 01v96 is more like 12 db/oct.  Not positive on this though.

Eric Christian

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »

Drop a lake card in the MY slot. Sounds great, Is a crossover with parametrics.

I would really like to do this with my 01V96.  To bad the Lake card costs about twice as much as what I paid for the mixer.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »

Drop a lake card in the MY slot. Sounds great, Is a crossover with parametrics.

Unfortunately the 01V96 only has 1 slot and I need that for 16 channels of ADAT.  $3200 for the lake MY-LAKE, wow.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2788728-01v96-Crossover-Low-Cut-Filters&highlight=dookietwo

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2787691-Do-I-need-a-Driverack-if-I-have-a-Yamaha-O1v96

Douglas R. Allen

Thanks Douglas for the links.  This guy used all 4 parametrics to get the shape he wanted.  My current setup uses 2 but I didn't go through the measurement process this guy did, it was more of an eyeball and ear thing.  I'll try the settings recommended in the links, thanks again.  Good stuff.
Mark McFarlane

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »

Thanks Douglas for the links.  This guy used all 4 parametrics to get the shape he wanted.  My current setup uses 2 but I didn't go through the measurement process this guy did, it was more of an eyeball and ear thing.  I'll try the settings recommended in the links, thanks again.  Good stuff.

Dookietwo is Douglas R. Allen.   8)

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »

Remember you can always have your channels go through a stereo buss and put the fliters in the buss to free up your stereo L/R outs.

Douglas R. Allen

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »

Remember you can always have your channels go through a stereo buss and put the fliters in the buss to free up your stereo L/R outs.

Douglas R. Allen

My standard setup uses all 8 auxes and all 8 busses
Mark McFarlane

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »

My standard setup uses all 8 auxes and all 8 busses

I have a DM 2000 and I have often routed the stereo out to several of the 4 stareo matrices and used the EQs in those to make various passbands.  Still leaves the stereo out EQ as an overall master EQ.

If you run across a cheapo original 01v or 03D it's easy to run the master out digitally into the second mixer and use the various outputs of that as passbands.  Of course, then you still need a second device, but that device is a spare mixer...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

I have  a Behringer DEQ2496 that I carry when I have to patch into a house system using their speakers and/or console, or for outdoor gigs when I need longer delays than what the 01V96 can provide), but I rarely use the DEQ2496.

It's awfully convenient to just carrying the 01V96 without any rack gear for smaller shows.

Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading my NX550s to TT22-As, and new possibly subs, so I thought it was time to rethink speaker processing.

Not used the NX or TT products, so I can't address what you might need, but if you need speaker processing and in your part of the world I'd suggest the DCX2496.  The dreaded B word.  You can probably order it in at a far lower cost than any US brand.

The issue with using the desk for system alignment and signal routing, for me, is eating up EQ processing I *might* use and the amount of initial work involved in getting the resulting filters right.  For that amount of hassle I'll toss in a 1 space DSP.  For you it might be worth it to find a kludge and not acquire or carry another piece of gear.  You'll have to decide based on whatever processing needs the future has in store.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.